Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Exclamation Help! Platy just gave birth!

My Red wag platy gave birth and had her in breeders trap and put breeders trap in little weird bucket like a tray filled water with it. Because some of the fry escape so far i have 6 fry birthed got 5 and put in tray momma still in breeders trap. had her in 10g will 4 other platy and 2 guppies. Dont have to many hiding places. also got 29G. She maybe still birthing idk what to need if they neeed to be in a tank with filter and heater! neeedd help!

Old 12-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

never mind moving fish in 10g to 29g platys with cichlids make 10g fry tank!

Old 12-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Try using the search feature to look through the forums for how to raise platy fry. It comes up very often and you'll find all the info you need
Old 12-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh and unless your tank stays at 78 or higher without a heater, yes you need a heater. I highly suggest using a seeded sponge filter too. Good luck, platy fry are very easy to raise.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi sorry no one replied before you moved em. Platty will have huge births much like there cousins the guppi and swortails, Depending on age of the fish, size of fish, how many batches of fry she has laid out in the past, and the water and food quality provided for and before the birth. If all of these are mature, large, 2 or more, and excelent you could have alot more babies on the way. btw what are you feeding them?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-8 pufferman View Post
Hi sorry no one replied before you moved em. Platty will have huge births much like there cousins the guppi and swortails, Depending on age of the fish, size of fish, how many batches of fry she has laid out in the past, and the water and food quality provided for and before the birth. If all of these are mature, large, 2 or more, and excelent you could have alot more babies on the way. btw what are you feeding them?
32 birthed so far! :O put them in 10G and they are just sitting there at bottom and i try to feed them some crushed up fish flakes but they didnt really come up to top. Pretty sure she is still birthing! now 35 . she never got prego before. Fed flakes to her and cleaned tank for new ones.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie

32 birthed so far! :O put them in 10G and they are just sitting there at bottom and i try to feed them some crushed up fish flakes but they didnt really come up to top. Pretty sure she is still birthing! now 35 . she never got prego before. Fed flakes to her and cleaned tank for new ones.
Like most newborn fish they won't eat until they absorb their yolk sac. Then they will forage and you should feed. Youre just fouling the water if they don't eat. Add some snails or harmless shrimp (be safe and dont use ghost shrimp) as a clean up crew
Old 12-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysapha

Like most newborn fish they won't eat until they absorb their yolk sac. Then they will forage and you should feed. Youre just fouling the water if they don't eat. Add some snails or harmless shrimp (be safe and dont use ghost shrimp) as a clean up crew
When will they absorb yolk sac? When you said shrimp I thought ghost shrimp then you said no but I will get some might tear up plants though. When will she have other batches? Week from now? But nylon over filter so they don't get sucked up.
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

should be roughly every month or so. btw do you have any males in your tank? it takes roughly 24 hours for the yolk sac to be absorbed.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-8 pufferman
should be roughly every month or so. btw do you have any males in your tank? it takes roughly 24 hours for the yolk sac to be absorbed.
I put all males and females in 29G mating partner hangs out with the one that just gave birth to 43 fry . All fry in 10G.

30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth, platy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com