Help quick. Kribensis babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman793

Aquarium Advice Regular
so out of nowhere i come home and i eat dinner. i come back into my room and tada my kribensis have had babies! i have no clue what to do. any help would be appreciated. please help!

Cover your filter intake with a sponge or something and let the parents do their job. If they are in a community tank alot of offspring will get picked off by other fish. Also I think it's Tetra that makes First Bites which is a great baby food.

Cover your filter intake with a sponge or something and let the parents do their job. If they are in a community tank alot of offspring will get picked off by other fish. Also I think it's Tetra that makes First Bites which is a great baby food.
+1, As Rivercats said, this food is excellent. My fry go mad for it. It's actually made by Hikari....lol

so they are in a community tank and i would prefer for them to live. when should i move them out of the community tank? i would like to know when the babies would be able to handle the move and be able to survive without the parents in a large bucket with no other fish, gravel, a filter and plants. i will feed them of course. the first time i saw them was yesterday

so they are in a community tank and i would prefer for them to live. when should i move them out of the community tank? i would like to know when the babies would be able to handle the move and be able to survive without the parents in a large bucket with no other fish, gravel, a filter and plants. i will feed them of course. the first time i saw them was yesterday
What size tank have you got??

30 gallon tall so the footprint of the tank is not too big.
This is what i have done until i get my new fry tank.. It's basically a square plastic box, available in lfs. Any clean plastic boxes could also be used. It was only a few quid. It's 2.5ltrs, but they come in sizes from 1ltr-->17ltrs...
I use a nail, heated with a lighter and pierce some small holes, smaller than the fry in it. I then secure it to the side of the tank with algae glass magnets....

Attachments

• DSCF7351~1.jpg
    DSCF7351~1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCF7352~1.jpg
    DSCF7352~1.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF7353~1.jpg
    DSCF7353~1.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 157
  • $T2eC16ZHJGIE9nnWrPtqBQeRzoI9)w~~60_35.jpg
    $T2eC16ZHJGIE9nnWrPtqBQeRzoI9)w~~60_35.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,747
30 gallon tall so the footprint of the tank is not too big.

See if you could get a separator to separate the babies from the other fish. Kribensis are great parents, I had the luxury of raising 100 kribensis babies.

Do get the hikari first bites. Excellent choice of food. They only need to be fed as soon as they can free swim (they eat their sac until then). I would also rotate the first bites with a small portion of egg yolk. (Take out a pea sized portion of the yolk and mix it with tank water, then use a turkey baster to feed the fish. Because the food are so small, I recommend turning off your filter when feeding.

thanks for the ideas. i really appreciate them but i already have a large bucket set up with a filter, plants and gravel ready for them. next time i will probably use those ideas since they dont require much prep time. but i would like to know when i will be able to move the babies out of the original tank. i can move the parents also. i have a question about that. when i move the babies should i move the parents with them?

thanks for the ideas. i really appreciate them but i already have a large bucket set up with a filter, plants and gravel ready for them. next time i will probably use those ideas since they dont require much prep time. but i would like to know when i will be able to move the babies out of the original tank. i can move the parents also. i have a question about that. when i move the babies should i move the parents with them?

I would rather move everyone else since moving the parents and babies will cause the, a lot of stress.

Seems like a bit more hassle, setting up the bucket and filter(cycled??), water changes etc, when you have all that in the main tank already. What about a heater, the fry are going to be super sensitive to temp changes+ stress. Just my opinion, best of luck with them anyway...

Hi I'm new to this site, my kribs also had babies.. Noticed them a week ago... didn't even know there were eggs. Super bad timing though because I just moved this last weekend and instead of removing the fish from the tank I had to just take the water level way down and transport the tank with them in it. Thankfully everyone survived.
I just recently got a 37gallon tank (tall) and had moved most my other fish over to that one so my kribs were in the old 20gallon with a pleco, corey cat, and zigzag eel. I haven't done anything different with the tank, figured I'd let nature take it's course. I know if they had been in the community tank the babies would've probably all been eaten by now, but fortunately it appears that I haven't lost any since I first saw them a week ago. I don't have an exact count but my guess is about 20 babies. I didn't know I should get them special food sooo they must be finding something to eat. My kribs are excellent parents so far, very protective! Haven't had any problems with my eel trying to eat the babies either. I'm just going to continue things as normal and wait until they are larger so that I can give them to my local fish guy whom I buy all my fish from.
Besides the food, is there anything I should change? They don't seem to have any issues with the filter intake... they swim all over and around it just fine.

Hi I'm new to this site, my kribs also had babies.. Noticed them a week ago... didn't even know there were eggs. Super bad timing though because I just moved this last weekend and instead of removing the fish from the tank I had to just take the water level way down and transport the tank with them in it. Thankfully everyone survived.
I just recently got a 37gallon tank (tall) and had moved most my other fish over to that one so my kribs were in the old 20gallon with a pleco, corey cat, and zigzag eel. I haven't done anything different with the tank, figured I'd let nature take it's course. I know if they had been in the community tank the babies would've probably all been eaten by now, but fortunately it appears that I haven't lost any since I first saw them a week ago. I don't have an exact count but my guess is about 20 babies. I didn't know I should get them special food sooo they must be finding something to eat. My kribs are excellent parents so far, very protective! Haven't had any problems with my eel trying to eat the babies either. I'm just going to continue things as normal and wait until they are larger so that I can give them to my local fish guy whom I buy all my fish from.
Besides the food, is there anything I should change? They don't seem to have any issues with the filter intake... they swim all over and around it just fine.
:welcome:First of all, welcome to AA, hope you enjoy!!!.
I don't think you need to do anything really. They seem to be doing very well on there own. I would pop a pre filter sponge over the intake though, just in case!!. Other than that, keep doing what your doing, it's working.
PS.. Also, i would pick up some Hikari First Bites, excellent fry food......

i still have my babies in the 30 gallon. i feed them but i do have a lot of plants and mosses in the tanks that they are constantly picking at. i feed them frozen baby brine shrimp, no need to hatch them. i have also have about twenty babies.

I would rather move everyone else since moving the parents and babies will cause the, a lot of stress.
im 15 and my mom will only let me have one aquarium. my aquarium is a 30 gallon tall so it is difficult catching fish in it. therefore, i want to get the babies out before they get really fast. although i may get my dad's 65 soon because he may be leaving the hobby. but it is a saltwater tank so it will take a long time to clean out all the salt and get new lights and such.

Seems like a bit more hassle, setting up the bucket and filter(cycled??), water changes etc, when you have all that in the main tank already. What about a heater, the fry are going to be super sensitive to temp changes+ stress. Just my opinion, best of luck with them anyway...
like i said above i only have one tank. im not moving the babies for about another 2 weeks so by then it should be cycled. i have already ordered a heater so they will be safe from temp changes.

Back
Top Bottom