Help RCS pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
My RCS is "berried" and I don't know where to put her so most of the baby shrimp will survive. I have a 5 gal with 4 male guppies, a 20 gal with endler's , ottos, and peppered cories! And a 1 gal. Where should I put her? The 5 gal is not planted, the 20 gal is planted

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You can move over some rocks and plants, do not clean them, let them have their biofilm for the baby shrimp. You will need NO ammonia, and that might be hard with a brand new tank / filter. Can you clip out some filter pad from your tank for your new tank?

Do you have a cover for your filter in take tube, in both tanks, just to be sure? Baby shrimp can get sucked up and die.

The 1 gal is already established, I use it to house guppy fry, and it's an air bubbler thing, not a filter. Is that ok? Or do I need to get a filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should be fine with the bubbler if it's what you use for raising fry. Is it a sponge filter?

Make sure you add a plant or two (java moss is ideal) to the tank you put her in. My baby shrimplets are always hiding in the moss and scouring it for food.

Is there any special food I should feed the shrimplets?

that is why Java Moss and an established tank is so important. The microscopic stuff is there for them to eat (also stable water parameters from an established filter or sponge filter). They will quickly begin eating what the parents are eating.

Here is a pic of some of my little ones, Blue Velvets, you can barely see the adult shrimp under and behind to the lower left. These aren't newborns but just really little!
60074-albums13090-picture66123.jpg

That's neat, I have a giant RCS that is bigger than some of my endlers

Back
Top Bottom