Help ! Save My Babies !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everybody this is my first submission as I'm not only a newbie to the forum but also to all things Aqua ! I have "inherited" 2 tanks a 50 Gallon which is up and running a few months and a 60 Gallon I have just filled.

I have a breeding pair of "Fire Mouth" cichlids in the 50 Gallon tank along with a Widow Tetra and a medium sized 6" Plecko.

The cichlids have just had their 3rd batch of babies in as many months and I totally at a loss as to how I'm going to save them. I left the first batch in the tank and they all disappeared overnight after 2 days ??

For the second batch I purchased a net type hanging nursery. A bit more successful but unfortunately all had died after a week.

Can somebody please advise me on what to do, its really upsetting to loose so many fry.

Should I move the porents and babies to the new tank ??:ermm:

It would make sense to move the firemouths and fry. But where to? And what have you been feeding the fry? Also, tetras are schooling fish. So, you should probably get some more... or remove them completely. Firemouths are aggressive... especially when breeding. Watch out for the other fish. But on the other hand they make great parents. It may take them a few tries... but they'll get it right eventually.

Fry and Fry again

I have just filled a 60 gallon tank but its not up to tempreature yet. Would it be safe to move them to this tank ?

For food I've been using ground flake food.

Could the pleco or the Tetra be any cause for concern ? Could the filter (external) be dangerous ?

I take your point about the Tetra so I will pop along and buy some more tomorrow. Maybe I'll move these to the new tank ?:fish2:

Okay so if you move the tetras and pleco everything should be ok. Are the firemouths near or not to the filter? (All of my filtration in my 48" tank is on one side, and my krib family is on the other. In a tank that size there shouldn't be a problem with the filter. As for the food; it's ok. If you want them to grow faster though, you should maybe try baby brine shrimp or egg paste.
Give the tank some time to settle, though. Is the filter cycled? If so, then moving the fish shouldn't be a problem in a few hours.

Fry and Fry again

Great Stuff I'll move the rest of the residents in the morning. There's only one filter intake in the tank and its about a foot to 18" away from the fry.

I don't understand the term "Cycled" ? regarding the filter.

I'll check the pet shop for brime tomorrow.

Thanks a million for all your help.

Great Stuff I'll move the rest of the residents in the morning. There's only one filter intake in the tank and its about a foot to 18" away from the fry.

I don't understand the term "Cycled" ? regarding the filter.

I'll check the pet shop for brime tomorrow.

Thanks a million for all your help.
No problem
"Cycled" is when the beneficial bacteria in a filter/ tank establish themselves. One bacteria turns ammonia into nitrites, a slightly less hamful chemical. Another turns nitrites into nitrates, a virtually harmless chemical(too much of anything is a bad thing.)
Bottom line, how long has that filter been dry?

I have only just installed the filter on the 60g tank, its straight out of the box.

The 60g tank has come up to temp over night so I have transferred the Tetra and Pleco to the new tank.

Mum, Dad and fry now happy in a 50g tank all to themselves.

P.S. What would you recommend as best temp for the tanks. I've been running them at about 34 to 35C. Is this too low ?

Sorry, I'm being a right gobshite, I meant to say 24 to 25. Oh lord, the auld brain isn't working as it should. Well it looks like I've got one thing right so far !

Would it be advisable to clean the external filter on the Firemouths tank at this time , I've also discovered that I've been overfeeding so its really bad.

Probably. I never do it honestly. But I have a 100 gallon canister filter on my 55 gallon tank. Overfiltration!!!

Hi zooking,

Just to let you know all your advice has paid off. The fry are all doing nicely and a quick visit to the pet shop and my Widow Tetra has 6 new buddies to hang out with.

Thanks for all your help.

Hi Charlo,
First, welcome to both, AA and fish keeping.
For your overfeeding problem don't worry about the filter yet, if it's still flowing it's OK. But what you will need to do is a big PWC (partial water change), to clean out the excess food from the gravel/sand.

Also, are you testing your water? And what are you testing it with?
I read where you said you didn't understand about cycling (extremely important), so I was wondering what the ammonia and/or the nitrIte levels in your water are. And how often are you doing PWC in the tanks?
I understand that you inherited these tanks, so your playing catch up. There is a lot to know about water and fish when you first start out. The first rule is, BEWARE OF LFS (local fish store) ADVISE . Unless you know, that they know, what they are talking about. Many LFS employees are under trained or told the wrong information so that the store can make more money. It is always safer to do the research yourself and ask here on AA.
A pet store will often tell you that it's safe to add fish to the tank 24 hours after it's been up and running, SO NOT TRUE. But now that you already have fish things can still be done safely, it's just a lot more work to keep the fish alive until your water parameters are stable.
But you've already done the smartest thing you can and that's joining AA. The people here are very helpful and will get you through just about anything that pops up.
Good luck and enjoy

Hi WendyDell,

Well thank you sooo much ! What a cool welcome.

You are right to note that I'm out of my debth on this but learning fast. The 50g tank was hastily drained, moved and reinstated over a few hours. It was a nightmare but we saved the water and the few fish that came with it - amazing really. The filter was already quite clogged when it arrived but we thought it best to allow the bacteria establish before cleaning. (does that make sense ??).

I am concerned about the water balance though - asked in local store today about testing kits and I got the "WOT" treatment. Thus confirming your advice, Less knowledge than myself - if thats possible !

Is there an existing thread that you could recommend for me to start following to educate myself on this new world I've entered.

Also I have a problem with green algae growing on the inside of the 50g tank - I think its exposure to sunlight so I placed the 60g tank out of direct light. Is there a cure for this or is it just down to elbow grease ??:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom