Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Help sexing blue ram?

Hi everyone

So I've had my blue ram for about a week now and I still can't tell whether it's male or female. Can you guys please help me sex it, and how do I find a ram of the opposite gender for it? Thanks.

And here's a pic of it: 12F0E4C1-227D-458B-A5F6-DCC2A3E66121_zpskw0gtpf0.png Photo by koa4 | Photobucket

(Let me know if the link doesn't work lol it most likely doesn't)

Old 07-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Skype™ to Istrom
The picture doesnt help lol, but males tend to be bigger and females get red on their stomach. Also, females get a bump on their stomach, its their egg tube.

-Istrom
Istrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once it reaches breeding maturity (3-4 months old), your GBR will have spots on both sides. Males have completely black/opaque spots while females have a blue sheen to their spot. I would find a female/male by going to your LFS and ask them to grab you one of the gender you need OR go and sex them yourself and request it specifically.

Tell me if you have any other questions.

Good luck! - Raymond
Old 07-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like a male but most cameras suck at picking up sheen... Probably a male though. Females may also have the spots that yours has around the spot, but in the spot.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are still unsure, this should help! link
Old 07-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah...it has shiny blue spots around the inside of the black spot but not really "inside"...and no pink belly. So I'm thinking its a male? But it's dorsal rays aren't that long...but still guessing its a male as it looks like it's still young.

Thanks for the link icy, but quick question...do all females have a pink belly? I want to make sure i actually get a female instead of another male. And do they have blue in, like, the center? Or around? I'm pretty bad at this stuff lol
Old 07-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Females will have shimmering black spots (slightly blue), may have the dots in the spot, and will get a pink belly at... 4-5 months of age I believe.

Glad to help, - Raymond

Tags
blue, blue ram, ram, sexing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com