Help sexing mature honey gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I believed I had properly sexed my pair of honey gouramis, however the more they mature the less sure I am (which is odd, I know)

Here is what I believe to be the male:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395703100.921359.jpg

Here is what I believe to be the female:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395703145.627197.jpg

Both are currently in their dark bronze and black spawning colors right now and both are building a bubble nest, one more successfully than the other (the supposed male is doing better).

What I believe to be the male once had a true point to his dorsal fin, but it was nipped off and never became pointed again.

Any advice would be great!

It is hard to say as the first photo the fish is turned. I think based on what I see you have two females. The anal fins are rounded and that is the indicator.

Sorry nobody got back to you sooner

It is hard to say as the first photo the fish is turned. I think based on what I see you have two females. The anal fins are rounded and that is the indicator.

Sorry nobody got back to you sooner

+1 I also see two females. I'm unsure about the nest.

I agree; they look like my two girls. Yes, mine make some rather unimpressive bubble nests. They also will swim around each other in a ying/yang shape, courting. I think since there is no male present they are just following nature's callings.

I agree; they look like my two girls. Yes, mine make some rather unimpressive bubble nests. They also will swim around each other in a ying/yang shape, courting. I think since there is no male present they are just following nature's callings.

That makes a lot of sense now that you say that. The bubble nests they have made in the past have been poor in quality. It seemed no matter how much I reduced the water movement or I increased the humidity the nest would pop and disappear. And they would wrap but no eggs would ever drop....

I guess I will stop getting excited to see babies lol.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Back
Top Bottom