Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yes the true salt water tanks are very time consuming and costly arent they? yet they are beautiful.. you get the live rocks and coral. i would love to be able to go full boar into this but i just cant and it would not be fair to my little friends.. i have a 10 gallon and its killing me because i like Koi so i started with them, not thinking ahead about growing and needing space and a pond so they can live like they should. I gave the LFS 1 and am having a hard time parting with the other 2 but i know i have to, sooner than later. i posted on FB to my friends in hopes someone w/ a pond would take them. but not one reply so i hope the store finds good homes

Old 07-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Skype™ to Istrom
I've got a pond with koi, but I'm nowhere near NY lol

-Istrom
Istrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

bummer, they are beauties too
Old 07-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Update. Think the ghost shrimp released her eggs. Time will tell how it works iut

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Amy
amyb_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep. She probably either has the babies where the eggs were, or on her legs. Let's hope for the best!!

-Istrom
Old 07-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the ghost shrimp is the American species palaemonetes, it does not hatch babies nor hang onto them later. I don't know any shrimp species that holds babies after they have hatched, certainly not any of the popular aquarium species do that.

American ghosts have larvae, being low order shrimp, and they hatch after the mother releases her eggs. They do look like they are sliding down her swimmerets, because they are, until they fall off the ends.

The eggs float to the surface, hatch into larvae so small it is virtually impossible to see them, and in 4-5 days, the larvae morph into wee white shrimplets, which hang head down at the surface in light, and sink to the bottom in dark, for a few days until they start to swim.

All happens in fresh water, most larvae are eaten by fish or get filtered out, but it is possible to have some survive. I have raised several broods both in a separarate brood tank and in a 29 g community tank. The older the tank, the more likely some may survive, given older tanks more probably have more microscopic food for their early life stages.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

it will be interesting to find out what happens. as i was surprised when i figured out she was carrying eggs. at first i thought it was poop then it was so clear and you can see the eggs moving when she did. really cool.. i got java moss yesterday or day before. she went right to it and has been staying there most of the time. when i see her now i dont see any eggs. so they have released. glad i did my cleaning before hand. and i take your word on the rest. i had no intention of little ghost shrimp babies, so whatever the outcome im good with it. i am just very intrigued by all of this fish stuff.. breeding, spawing, eggs, fry.. all things i was clueless about until the past couple weeks.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ghost shrimp don't live all that long, sadly, so they tend to reproduce as often as they can. Females will continue getting pregnant so long as food is good, mates are available and they are able to carry the eggs. Average lifespan between 1-2 years at most. They turn orangish with maturity, get some dark streaks on the shells.

They were my first shrimp, I still find them very entertaining and cute.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Help this newbie.. I thnk my ghost shrimp are going to have babies.

Ha just noticed 2 ghost shrimp
Are carrying eggs. Oh my! :0
I wanted guppies not shrimp. Lol
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Amy
amyb_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lol a there are a lot of species that will just constantly breed and multiply like that.

-Istrom

Tags
babies, ghost, ghost shrimp, newb, newbie, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com