Help! Unexpected Bristlenose fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jude89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've kept fish for a few years, but don't know much about breeding. Cleaning the tank this afternoon I found some fry. Working out the parents was easy, as the fry were sucking onto the glass, and the only other fish in the tank who do this are two Bristlenose Plecostomus (Plecostomi?). A closer look confirmed this as they look a lot like their dad*. After a long search of the tank, we found 21 in all, which are currently in a small, floating, breeding tank I had from a similar experience with some Cichlids. Each one is about 8mm long (can anyone give me an idea of how old they might be?).

* Mum is a Golden Bristlenose - does this colouring develop later in life, or are they likely to retain dad's colouring?

What do I need to do for these gorgeous little things? I've put some sand and plant matter in the breeding tank, and suspect I'll need to go and get some fry food (advice please!) tomorrow. What should I realistically consider their chances of survival?

The breeding tank is currently in a 120 tank. I also have a 25l tank which the mother originally grew up in (she was <2cm when she first arrived). Could this be a home for small ones at a later date?

I remember the Cichlids were somewhat cannibalistic - I assume there's no such danger with the plecs?

Any & all advice appreciated

well theres no need for sand except for decoration. but feeding them baby brine shrimp- crushed algae waffers- small amount of crushed flake food-- put a piece of cucumber on a fork and let it set on the bottom. other than that i just set mine by a window so it gets sunlight to develop some algae

Thanks Bob

Sand duly removed - that makes it much easier to see what food they are eating. I put in some cucumber, but on other advice I removed it, as I was told it should be organic. I then found (at least in our area) that you can't currently get organic vegetables for love nor money. I'm assured that algae wafers and baby brine shrimp will be sufficient.

All doing well now. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom