help with guppys please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthew_raw

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i bought two females and one mail today and the two females have a dark gravid spot but they don't look squared off they just look slightly larger than normal so i put them in the breeder trap and was wondering if this is okay ?

Hello matt...

You don't need to move your females. It's stressful and rough handling can injury your fish. I've raised Fancy Guppies for several years in large, planted tanks and never move my females. I do large, frequent water changes and make the new water a bit warmer than that in the tank. If your females are close to delivery, the flush of pure, treated tap water will result in new fry.

Get some Anacharis (Common water weed) into the tank. Just remove the lead band and drop the sprigs into the tank. It will provide hiding places for the females and the fry. Also, start feeding a little more and a little more often. If the adult fish are well fed, they'll show little interest in the fry.

One other thing. Never buy male Guppies. The females are pregnant when you buy them at the store. They'll provide all the males you need.

B

okay thanks for the info but my tanks not heavily planted and i have had success with breeder box in the past so ill stick with that, i understand that it is stress full but i want to save all the fry, what can i feed the guppy fry ?

Hello again matt...

I feed mostly frozen. Frozen brine shrimp, plankton, blood worms, beef heart and Mysis shrimp are all good. For the fry, you can put the frozen cube on a small plate until it thaws. Then, just pour the liquid into the tank water.

B

Back
Top Bottom