Help with my Angelfish eggs!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katelyn7014

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is the second time my angelfish pair had eggs. The first time, I had no idea what to do with eggs. After a few days of the first batch being free swimmers (and only the parents were in the tank, I moved the other fish), they all disappeared. I'm not sure if the parents ate them, or they fell into the pebble substrate, or just lack of knowledge on my part... but this time I've done my research and know what to expect and what to do.

This time, the angelfish laid eggs on the heater. This was Thursday night. So I unplugged the heater, and I wasn't able to put another heater in until this morning. A little over half of the eggs are not fertilized now and are white, the rest are amber or transparent and I'm assuming fertile. I wasn't able to remove the white ones because I didn't want to stress the parents or destroy the good eggs. I also read that hydrogen peroxide is a good antifungal for aquariums, something like methylene blue, and to put in a 1 capful for every 5 gallons. I know the angelfish take care of the eggs, but would the hydrogen peroxide be good to prevent those white eggs from growing fungus and infecting the good eggs?

I'm also just wondering how long it will take for the good eggs to hopefully hatch, even if there are so many white ones? Because the heater had to be unplugged the temperature was not in the 80s, but around 72-74 degrees for a day or two... the water temp is now 82 degrees though.

I was also wondering if I could feed the free swimming fry frozen San Fransisco Bay Brine Shrimp. I have absolutely no idea how to hatch live baby brine shrimp... last time the pet store gave me Nutrifin baby fish food, but I'm hoping this time I could thaw the brine shrimp and feed them that, along with egg yolk strained from the coffee filter, apparently? Anyway, any help or tips would be great. If these eggs hatch I'm going to move the fry over to a bare 10 gallon tank.

you would be best removing the heater from the tank and putting it in a small tank or large jar (1-2 gal ) with a air bubblier or a small spounge filter , you want a shallow tank , angels usually eat they first few bunchs of eggs and babies till they figuire out they have to take care of them
add some methylene blue , peroxide might hurt the eggs
the easiest thing to feed new born ciclids is ether micro worms or viniger worms
I have micro worms for sale in the classified, once you start the culture it last for around one month and you can easerly make more
baby brine shrimp you need to hatch every day and they die fast in fresh water the micro and viniger worms last at least 24 hours in fresh water
egg yolk will work but you will need to do lots of water changes same with dry food
some people put a veggie snail in the tank after they hatch they eat the extra food and put microscopic animals in the tank for the babies to eat

Hm... you think I should move them right now, instead of using a turkey baster to move the free swimming fry after they're hatched and moving? Would it be more likely for the good eggs to hatch that way? I'll have to keep microworms in mind, I've never heard of using them til now. So hydrogen peroxide wouldn't be a good replacement for methylene blue if I didn't have any of that..?

It's much easier to move the eggs than move the fry. Once hatched, the fry are more sensitive to the move.
There is a thread in the breeding forum titled "Wigglers at last!!!!!" that will help you a lot. It's an ongoing thread all about breeding and raising Angelfish by both professional and hobbyist Angel breeders. It's a long thread but well worth the read as just about everything you need to know about doing this has already been discussed on that thread.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom