Help with prego molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
How can you tell when they are about to have the babies and when should I try to put her in a breeder trap so the babies won't get eaten?

Thanks for any help I can get.

Tess

She will get almost square looking towards the rear. If you have a lot of plants the young may survive without a net. The breeding net will stress her so keep a close eye on her.

So what do I do she looks pretty square at least in front not quite as much in the back. Do I just wait and then try to catch the babies after and put them in the net so they do not get eaten. I do have a five gallon tank but it is not cycled.

Thanks Tess

You can try and catch the babies if you want. The mother can be moved to a breeder's trap anytime. Keep an eye on her, some mollies get stressed in breeders traps. If you catch the babies put them in a breeder's net in the main tank. Or take some media from your cycled filter and put it in the 5 gal and keep an eye on your parameters. I prefer the breeder's net myself.

Thanks Zagz That sounds good I think Iwill just try to catch the babies when she has them. and keep them in the breders net in the main tank.

Tess

my molly just had babies, or baby.. i didnt even know, ive never had preggo fish...

i added 2 snails last night and i was just watching as the one golden was falling all over the driftwood, and i noticed a little spec near the top of the tank in my plants... i look a bit harder and it was a baby... woo hoo... i am a dad... lol but i only saw the one...

anyhow i put mom and the new found baby in my eclipse hex by themselves... is that ok? do they deliver one at a time, or all at once?

and is crushed flakes ok? i feed about twice a day.. once around 8a and then again between 7-10p

If she is still very round she may have a few more. Be careful because she will eat her own babies. Put some moss or a floating plant in the tank to give the babies some cover.

oh no.. i was worried about that... eekk well.. what household item can i float untill i get to the LFS?

ok.. like this? do i need more holes poked? i am not really sure what i am doing... so i just watch, and if she has babies i pull them out of the cup? how do i know shes done? will she instantly eat them... i am going out later this afternoon and wont be home to watch... whats like a time line ? should i still keep the baby in the small tank, or move him back to the main tank?

img_824597_0_ccd286a9fd0dad8fc1d451c5ce4d5360.jpg

Back
Top Bottom