Help with sexing guppy fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lily1714

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to sex my guppies that are a month old but they never stay still long enough for me to tell which gender they are. Ik how to sex them but i need help on how to keep them still. Should i put them in something seperate to sex them?

i wouldnt if you can't tell yet by watching them they probably are still to young to know, theres no mistaking them when they start to mature

Yea well 4 of the 12 have dark gravid spots so they are female. but every single fry has an obvious fan shaped dorsal fin. Cld they all be female?

Okay so now i have another question. Since all the fry have fan shaped fins will the males fins turn pointy or how does the gonopodium form?

i wouldnt put any stock in fan or pointy fins at this young stage, i consider every baby a female till the gonopodium forms, not sure what changes happen inside the fish to transform him or her though, i just waited till it changed, which seems to happen all of a sudden.

Hey lily!

I was in the same boat as you, convinced that the last two drops of my guppy produced ALL female batches...

Turns out I was just an anxious caretaker. I would say one month is too early to say, it took mine a solid 2.5-3mo until the males fins started showing some pointedness to them. Just continue doing what you're doing, and to watch the development until you are able to sex them and separate them :)

If you really want to know, get a small tank and cover three of the four sides with black paper. Cut a hole in the back piece of paper and shine a very bright light through it. You should be able to see the gravid spot of female fry when they swim by the light.

i have 5 fry that are about 5 weeks old, some show the makings of a very small gravid spot, others dont, but all have the same anal fin shape as secondary sexual characteristics like color and the gono-whatever, until they are 3.5-4 months old usually... also, if a young female is in a female only tank, she can actually switch her sex to male... thats why i keep my babies with the males once they are bigger than snack size...
good luck!

Back
Top Bottom