Hey check out my DIY guppy boxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MC1973

Aquarium Advice Activist
The DIY guppy boxes were made with old milk cartons, and I poked holes in them. They helped hold all the fry without getting eaten (yeah I saved them all lol).

Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures

There they are

Attachments

• 1221011915b.jpg
    1221011915b.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 140
  • 1221011915a.jpg
    1221011915a.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 1221011946a.jpg
    1221011946a.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 121
Will work fine for breeder boxes. Hope they all live.

Hey thanks!
So actually I didn't use them for breeder boxes, I just used them to isolate from the bigger fish.
I haven't run into any problems. I had the setup for several months and eventually gave away the fish since there were so many.

Of all the fish I had zero crooked spines or any deformations :)

Actually that is better than me I have at least 1 baby death until adult hood.

I used to have quite a bit actually when I just let the babies roam free right after birth. I would get a lot of dead ones sinking to the bottom and then I would have to reach in there and fish them out.

The only time I really had a problem with deaths was when I didn't have time to turn the lights on. I read somewhere that if you don't give them enough light they won't grow properly i.e. crooked spines.

It's definitely easier to have these because when they're up closer to the top you can easily suck out uneaten food, debris, poop, etc.

Sometimes I use them to grow plants that have been damaged or seem to be dying because they're closer to the light in the box.

I did not know about the light I had about 15 plattties everyone of them died. Spines had issues.

Aww man, sorry to hear about that.
Were your water parameters in check?
What about the temperature?

I've had best growth in warmer water :)

Nitrates are about 20 and everything els is in check also heat does make them grow faster but also shortens the life of everything int the tank.

My only momma right now

Attachments

• image-592265657.jpg
    image-592265657.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 79
Does it really? I have heard of people keeping fish in like the 60's but I always thought in the mid 70's was the best temperature. 80's and you start to expel the oxygen out of the water.

P.S. I really like the platy fish because they're so colorful.
I was thinking about setting up another tank and just doing a ton of those.
Do they reproduce as fast as guppies? And are their batches as large?
How about their bioload?

Ok first I have had 2 batches and not that manny guppies I ever only found 1 babby but am assuming there are more that died. And the bio load on this platty is crazy my friend nick named her (poopy) momma. I swear if you would put a camera on her you'd see constant pooing. And yes it does speed the life up to heat the water up its about 78 right now.

Back
Top Bottom