Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question Hiya folks..I am trying to breed my zebras...

so I went and got my 10gal last week and set everything up. I put my Zebras in there last night (the water was crystal clear) but this morning the water is very cloudy/murky. Anyone know why? I am hoping that its because my girls were laying eggs and the boys were were doing their bit as well Any suggestions anyone??

Old 11-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

did you cycle the 10g?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What kind of substrate are you using?
Old 11-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have marbles in the bottom. About an inch.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes. The water has been in there for a week or more. I also have 2 33 gals and another 10 gal and I have never had a problem with murky water in any of my tanks.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

ok, if you didnt cycle the tank, that "murky" water could be a bacteria bloom... is it like a white cloud that you can see moving through the water? If you didnt cycle it, you're going to have ammonia problems and end up doing daily water changes to keep it down... definately a good idea to cycle the tank first as the fish wont reproduce when stressed like that

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
A real cycle takes about 4 weeks on average.

Here is an article to read about cycling the tank. Do you have a test kit to check for ammonia and nitrite?

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

If we're talking about Zebra Danios? Probably not, but this should apply anyways...
From my experience, my fish only started breeding after my tank has been established for about 6 months. The water is prestine, cycled and heavily planted. Without a cycled Tank / established, the fish will be stressed and less likely to be comfortable & breed.

Tags
breed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com