Honey Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alba Cory

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone got any experience breeding these beautiful fish? Was in my LFS last weekend not looking for anymore fish but seen the male who was a gorgeous red colour with jet black bottom fin right up his face and striking bright yellow top fin so I was fascinated and the owner said he would love to breed him but didn't have the space so begged me to give it a go. Just now they are in QT tank which does not have much in it at all, no gravel etc. I am getting a new 27 litre tank tomorrow that I was planning on setting up for them specifically as my main 125 litre tank is a little boisterous for them I would feel. Basically looking for the optimum temp etc for them to breed? He lost a lot of his colour from travelling and has only recently showed signs of colouring up so don't think he is too happy in QT tank just now. Also was planing on getting some RCS for the new tank as well, plenty of plants and hiding places was hoping they would be fine! Any help would be appreciated.

Anyone got any experience breeding these beautiful fish? Was in my LFS last weekend not looking for anymore fish but seen the male who was a gorgeous red colour with jet black bottom fin right up his face and striking bright yellow top fin so I was fascinated and the owner said he would love to breed him but didn't have the space so begged me to give it a go. Just now they are in QT tank which does not have much in it at all, no gravel etc. I am getting a new 27 litre tank tomorrow that I was planning on setting up for them specifically as my main 125 litre tank is a little boisterous for them I would feel. Basically looking for the optimum temp etc for them to breed? He lost a lot of his colour from travelling and has only recently showed signs of colouring up so don't think he is too happy in QT tank just now. Also was planing on getting some RCS for the new tank as well, plenty of plants and hiding places was hoping they would be fine! Any help would be appreciated.

I used to have a female in my 69 litre and she wasn't beautiful and so cute.. She was a little shy but didn't let anyone near her log, beautiful fish .. Give her plenty of hiding spaces in a 27 litre incase he bothers her too much good luck keep us posted

You can use a heavly planted or plastic plant tank. The light shoul dbe dim and the traffic as little as possible. Put the plastic lid of a coffer can in and they will blow a nest under it.

Thought I'd post a wee update on my honeys. They are happy in my 55 litre tank but the male tries and tries to make a nest but his bubbles burst instantly so get frustrated and takes it out on the female. Is this normal? Will he learn how to do it eventually? I feel bad for both of them.

Another update after putting in a plastic plate that is shaped pretty good to slow water movement down, the male still struggled so thought he would never get it but woke up today to a nest with eggs in them! Hope I get a few fry from them! I know the male looks after the fry but will the female attempt to eat them? She has enough space and hiding places to avoid the males aggression towards her. Here is the male:

image-1246716088.jpg

Picture doesn't do his coloration justice if I'm honest. He is a lot more vibrant. Still you get the idea of how stunning he is!

Back
Top Bottom