Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honey gourami breeding!

I am thinking about restocking my 37gal tank... Right now I have 3 angels and a ton of mollies with a pleco! So do u think I could restock and put honey gouramis in? Maybe 3-4? An what other fish would be good with them if I want to breed them?

Old 05-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

If your wanting to breed them then a species only tank would be the way to go. They need a calm waters surface and floating plants to build their bubble nests. do some research on them and see if that's the way you want to go.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two
If your wanting to breed them then a species only tank would be the way to go. They need a calm waters surface and floating plants to build their bubble nests. do some research on them and see if that's the way you want to go.
Thanks!!! What r some other fairly cheap easy to breed freshwater fish?? That can and will breed In my 37 gal tank...
Old 05-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish4bass8 View Post
Thanks!!! What r some other fairly cheap easy to breed freshwater fish?? That can and will breed In my 37 gal tank...
The "What fish are easy to breed in a 37 Gal tank?" part can be answered with "A LOT OF FISH." The part you need to realize is that if you are breeding fish, and you want some quantity of the babies to survive, you are going to need more equipment than the 1-37 gal tank. If you are not willing to do this, you will spend a lot of time and trouble and have very little to show for it.
If you only want the one tank, I'd suggest that you make it a heavily planted tank and put any type of livebearing fish (Guppy, Platy, Molly, Swordtail ) in it. The fry are much easier to care for and the plants will help hide them while they grow. You can have a mixture of these fish and not have the territorial problems common with egglaying fish.

The best suggestion would be to do some research on what's involved in actually breeding fish, any fish, and see if you want to be that involved. It's a lot more than just throwing 2 fish together

Hope this helps
Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager

The "What fish are easy to breed in a 37 Gal tank?" part can be answered with "A LOT OF FISH." The part you need to realize is that if you are breeding fish, and you want some quantity of the babies to survive, you are going to need more equipment than the 1-37 gal tank. If you are not willing to do this, you will spend a lot of time and trouble and have very little to show for it.
If you only want the one tank, I'd suggest that you make it a heavily planted tank and put any type of livebearing fish (Guppy, Platy, Molly, Swordtail ) in it. The fry are much easier to care for and the plants will help hide them while they grow. You can have a mixture of these fish and not have the territorial problems common with egglaying fish.

The best suggestion would be to do some research on what's involved in actually breeding fish, any fish, and see if you want to be that involved. It's a lot more than just throwing 2 fish together

Hope this helps
Well I am prob getting a 20 gal fry tank and maybe a 10 for fry too...
Old 05-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish4bass8 View Post
Well I am prob getting a 20 gal fry tank and maybe a 10 for fry too...
You may want to reverse your thinking. I've bred most fish(Angelfish, Tetras, Barbs, Bettas, Gouramis, Catfish, Cichlids -SA and African, etc.) in a 10 gal tank and raised the fry in larger tanks. There will be more fry than breeders so they will need the more space.
As I suggested before, do some more research on breeding tropical fish to see what you are getting in to
Old 05-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager

You may want to reverse your thinking. I've bred most fish(Angelfish, Tetras, Barbs, Bettas, Gouramis, Catfish, Cichlids -SA and African, etc.) in a 10 gal tank and raised the fry in larger tanks. There will be more fry than breeders so they will need the more space.
As I suggested before, do some more research on breeding tropical fish to see what you are getting in to
Thanks for ur concern!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

With Gouramis a good thing to help the male with the bubble nest is to float a margarine lid in the tank! ( just clean it first) haaha

Tags
breed, breeding, gourami, honey gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com