How do bristlenose plecos breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia258

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need info on BN plecos, from how often they breed, to how much offspring they have, and how to raise the young, and everything in between! :)

severum mama said:
When people say that Google is your friend, they aren't trying to be rude to you. It helps us to help you, when you do enough reading on your own to come up with specific questions for us. For example- "I read in one article that 'x' pH is better for Corydoras aeneus than 'y' pH, but another article said something else. What do you guys think?" - is better than "Tell me everything you know about Corys." It's unlikely that someone is going to take the time to type out everything they know about breeding Corydoras when this information is readily available online to anyone that is willing to dig through some search results. Yes, it takes time, but specific questions are a lot more likely to get thoughtful answers. If you don't turn up the results you need, try some different search terms.

Also, don't forget about the search function here on AA! There are tons of threads that might be helpful to you.

Same applies to plecos. :)

Soooo, I got more info on common plecos than I got on BNs, so here's what I gathered in a whole (I'm pretty sure that the two are similar enough that I can wad it all together, but if I'm wrong definitely correct me)

They become a mating pair and stay that way for life. The father will protect the eggs after they're fertilized. The first batch usually has low hatching rates. Males can be territorial so only get one. A cave is needed for each pleco. Multiple females is fine but only one is needed for the male.

I can't really tell what the mating rituals are, it was very vague on the fact. I still also need info on how the eggs are fertilized (like T position or what they do, so I know what to look for) and I also need what the eggs look like and when, and it said 5-6 days before hatching but depends on water parameters. And also what the male does to protect the eggs and wether hell protect the fry or not.

I've got a slight grasp on the cories ways of laying and such, so I have some knowledge of egg layers. (I know a whole bunch about guppies and live bearers, so I might breed mollies or sword tails)

And, also, what should I look for in healthy female plecos when I get them from a store? I have a separate connection on PM that's going to supply me with a male, so I can avoid inbreeding.

Read my bristlenose post on this forum. Full of info on my first lot of eggs, including pics

Back
Top Bottom