Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Which species are you interested in breeding?

I have breeding peppered corys. I don't do a thing. They are in a 16 gallon community, they lay eggs, the eggs hatch, the fry hide in the java moss and decor and come out when they are big enough to not get eaten.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia258
Okay, wish I had known that before, everyone just says google it, and all I got was where they lay eggs and some info on sexing (second part was needed, but I know where they lay eggs from reading threads on here) hope I find something different this time
You haven't even said which species of Corydoras. That is a starting point. Personally I will not research or type out such massive amounts of information without you doing a little work.

Planet Catfish has a wealth of info, but parameters and other details will vary from species to species. Narrow down what Cory you want to work with, C paleatus for example, then you can find specifics.

Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
Personally I will not research or type out such massive amounts of information without you doing a little work.
We're willing to help you study, but we're not going to take the final exams for you.....
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha well I have one Cory right now (I only recently found out that they like large groups, but my 10g is fully stocked—don't worry I'm getting a 40-50g tank to breed the cories in) and I wanted to breed the one I have now. Here's a pic

Attachment 84309

He's very cute, and I want him to have friends soon! So, can you tell the species from the pic? Because I have no idea! He's very healthy and is extremely cute! ^^
Old 03-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Sooooooo... It says stuff about a separate tank, but would a breeder box work better? The differences between the two was UN clear, though the floating breeder box sounds easier
Cories aren't going to like a Breeder Box. They like to breed as a group usually and like live plants. Breeder boxes are a Livebearer thing.

They just will hold onto the eggs if they aren't happy.

A separate tank is what serious breeders use.
If you are just trying for fun then you can see if you get surprise babies in a mixed tank.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Haha well I have one Cory right now (I only recently found out that they like large groups, but my 10g is fully stocked—don't worry I'm getting a 40-50g tank to breed the cories in) and I wanted to breed the one I have now. Here's a pic

He's very cute, and I want him to have friends soon! So, can you tell the species from the pic? Because I have no idea! He's very healthy and is extremely cute! ^^
Looks like C paleatus. Peppered Cory.

Learn the Latin names. The problem is C habrosus is sometimes known as Salt and Pepper Cory.... so you can see how confusing that could be.

20Long tanks are often used for Cory breeding. Easy to keep clean and lots of floor space for the size.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
come get me tang police!
Community Moderator

You could put the babies in a breeder net after they've grown a little bit, but yeah it's best to let them do their thing in the tank and then collect the eggs after. Or as mentioned, use a dedicated tank and remove the adults after the eggs have been laid.

120 Gallon Waterfall Style Build!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have plans for the large tank to be a community tank, so a seperate tank might be hard. I don't know if I'll be keeping the 10g or not when I get the 40/50g tank.

So, I was thinking that I might leave the cories in the tank, let them do their thing, and put the eggs into the breeder box after they're laid, because I'll have guppies and Otto cats and maybe mollies in the tank as well, and they're known to eat fry and eggs. Though I'll be planting lots of plants (and maybe that sword stuff that looks like grass) and I'll have floating plants, I'm not so sure that the unmoving eggs will make it. Maybe the fry, but not really the eggs. Any good ideas since its gonna be a community tank?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #19
come get me tang police!
Community Moderator

Breeding and community tanks don't usually work out together. You may get a lucky one here and there but for the most part you really have to have a method of keeping the young ones safe until they are too big to be eaten.

120 Gallon Waterfall Style Build!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lots of plants and grass should suffice I believe, it worked with my guppy fry anyway—otherwise I could just move the eggs into the floating breeder box and try that route ^^

Tags
breed, cories

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com