How do cories breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia258

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need info on Cory catfish, from how often they breed, to how much offspring they have, and how to raise the young, and everything in between!

To broad of questions. There are over 150 species of Corydoras with more turning up.

Here is a good article
http://www.scotcat.com/articles/article33.htm

Planet Catfish has great info, but read up before you ask questions. Those guys are serious about their catfish and want people to try to research so they don't ask the same questions that are already answered.

See if you have a club nearby. Fish clubs can be a great way to learn and get stuff cheaper ;)

Google is your friend.

I need info on Cory catfish, from how often they breed, to how much offspring they have, and how to raise the young, and everything in between!

Hello a...

I can give you the basics from what I've learned from reading and keeping several species: They lay eggs in pure water water conditions, but there's no set timing or schedule and lay around a dozen eggs at a time.

I've seen eggs mostly layed on plant leaves. My Corys prefer larger leaves like those on my Amazon swords. They will lay eggs on decorations and on the glass. The eggs have a hazy, almost clear color.

If you see them, it's best to move them to a QT tank with no other fish, because larger fish will eat them. The ideal pH is 7 (neutral).

I've had a number of eggs layed, but haven't moved them, so most are eaten. The others haven't hatched probably because I have harder water (higher pH) than the Corys prefer. I do keep the water very clean by doing large, weekly water changes of at least 50 percent of the tank volume.

www.aqua-fish has good information on Corydoras.

Hope this is helpful.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello a...

I can give you the basics from what I've learned from reading and keeping several species: They lay eggs in pure water water conditions, but there's no set timing or schedule and lay around a dozen eggs at a time.

I've seen eggs mostly layed on plant leaves. My Corys prefer larger leaves like those on my Amazon swords. They will lay eggs on decorations and on the glass. The eggs have a hazy, almost clear color.

If you see them, it's best to move them to a QT tank with no other fish, because larger fish will eat them. The ideal pH is 7 (neutral).

I've had a number of eggs layed, but haven't moved them, so most are eaten. The others haven't hatched probably because I have harder water (higher pH) than the Corys prefer. I do keep the water very clean by doing large, weekly water changes of at least 50 percent of the tank volume.

www.aqua-fish has good information on Corydoras.

Hope this is helpful.

B

It says your link isn't found, what happened to it?

It's an incomplete link (missing the .com)

I don't think it's the site that was supposed to be linked, though. They sell aquariums.

alia, if you google "breeding corydoras" you can find many articles, some species specific.

Okay, wish I had known that before, everyone just says google it, and all I got was where they lay eggs and some info on sexing (second part was needed, but I know where they lay eggs from reading threads on here) hope I find something different this time :)

When people say that Google is your friend, they aren't trying to be rude to you. It helps us to help you, when you do enough reading on your own to come up with specific questions for us. For example- "I read in one article that 'x' pH is better for Corydoras aeneus than 'y' pH, but another article said something else. What do you guys think?" - is better than "Tell me everything you know about Corys." It's unlikely that someone is going to take the time to type out everything they know about breeding Corydoras when this information is readily available online to anyone that is willing to dig through some search results. Yes, it takes time, but specific questions are a lot more likely to get thoughtful answers. If you don't turn up the results you need, try some different search terms. :)

Also, don't forget about the search function here on AA! There are tons of threads that might be helpful to you.

Sooooooo... It says stuff about a separate tank, but would a breeder box work better? The differences between the two was UN clear, though the floating breeder box sounds easier

Which species are you interested in breeding?

I have breeding peppered corys. I don't do a thing. They are in a 16 gallon community, they lay eggs, the eggs hatch, the fry hide in the java moss and decor and come out when they are big enough to not get eaten.

alia258 said:
Okay, wish I had known that before, everyone just says google it, and all I got was where they lay eggs and some info on sexing (second part was needed, but I know where they lay eggs from reading threads on here) hope I find something different this time :)

You haven't even said which species of Corydoras. That is a starting point. Personally I will not research or type out such massive amounts of information without you doing a little work. ;)

Planet Catfish has a wealth of info, but parameters and other details will vary from species to species. Narrow down what Cory you want to work with, C paleatus for example, then you can find specifics.

Haha well I have one Cory right now (I only recently found out that they like large groups, but my 10g is fully stocked—don't worry I'm getting a 40-50g tank to breed the cories in) and I wanted to breed the one I have now. Here's a pic

View attachment 84309

He's very cute, and I want him to have friends soon! So, can you tell the species from the pic? Because I have no idea! He's very healthy and is extremely cute! ^^

alia258 said:
Sooooooo... It says stuff about a separate tank, but would a breeder box work better? The differences between the two was UN clear, though the floating breeder box sounds easier

Cories aren't going to like a Breeder Box. They like to breed as a group usually and like live plants. Breeder boxes are a Livebearer thing.

They just will hold onto the eggs if they aren't happy.

A separate tank is what serious breeders use.
If you are just trying for fun then you can see if you get surprise babies in a mixed tank.

alia258 said:
Haha well I have one Cory right now (I only recently found out that they like large groups, but my 10g is fully stocked—don't worry I'm getting a 40-50g tank to breed the cories in) and I wanted to breed the one I have now. Here's a pic

He's very cute, and I want him to have friends soon! So, can you tell the species from the pic? Because I have no idea! He's very healthy and is extremely cute! ^^

Looks like C paleatus. Peppered Cory.

Learn the Latin names. The problem is C habrosus is sometimes known as Salt and Pepper Cory.... so you can see how confusing that could be.

20Long tanks are often used for Cory breeding. Easy to keep clean and lots of floor space for the size.

You could put the babies in a breeder net after they've grown a little bit, but yeah it's best to let them do their thing in the tank and then collect the eggs after. Or as mentioned, use a dedicated tank and remove the adults after the eggs have been laid.

I have plans for the large tank to be a community tank, so a seperate tank might be hard. I don't know if I'll be keeping the 10g or not when I get the 40/50g tank.

So, I was thinking that I might leave the cories in the tank, let them do their thing, and put the eggs into the breeder box after they're laid, because I'll have guppies and Otto cats and maybe mollies in the tank as well, and they're known to eat fry and eggs. Though I'll be planting lots of plants (and maybe that sword stuff that looks like grass) and I'll have floating plants, I'm not so sure that the unmoving eggs will make it. Maybe the fry, but not really the eggs. Any good ideas since its gonna be a community tank?

Breeding and community tanks don't usually work out together. You may get a lucky one here and there but for the most part you really have to have a method of keeping the young ones safe until they are too big to be eaten.

Lots of plants and grass should suffice I believe, it worked with my guppy fry anyway—otherwise I could just move the eggs into the floating breeder box and try that route ^^

Back
Top Bottom