how do guppies breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
today i bought a guppy for my gf and one of our guppies is starting to chase the new guppy. (not trying to nip on his fins)

so I'm just curious if they are trying to mate or what?

i did get male. i wasn't sure of the other one. i was trying to get all males cause i don't want anymore... haha

Guppies are livebearers that give birth to 5-30 fry every 30 days
The fry are free swimming however should be removed if you want them to survive as the parents will cannibalize fry
The fry can be fed baby brine shrimp, crushed flakes, infusoria, microworms, green water algae, and special prepared fry foods

I do know like males are more colorful and has longer tails.
I have 2 and one is a yellow one which I know is male.
But I have a lyre tail guppy which its hard to tell. Ill try to take a pic and show you guys. Maybe u guys can tell me :)

Paulcm10 said:
I do know like males are more colorful and has longer tails.
I have 2 and one is a yellow one which I know is male.
But I have a lyre tail guppy which its hard to tell. Ill try to take a pic and show you guys. Maybe u guys can tell me :)

Females can be very colorful as well I think it all on the guppy. Males have a gonopodium

View attachment 97007
This is a male

View attachment 97008

This is a female

oh thats so much easier to help me be able to tell.
i guess they just like each other since they follow each other around.
thanks!

If it is sold as a lyre tail and has the two swordlike fins there's a very high chance it is male as the males mostly display the tail whereas the females will just keep the colours. Usually.

Oh ok thanks! I was able to tell with the pictures as well. I was thinking it was a she cause she was so small And just add water? That's random haha.

The 'just add water' bit was in reference to how they breed. They have a reputation for being very active in the reproduction department!

Paulcm10 said:
today i bought a guppy for my gf and one of our guppies is starting to chase the new guppy. (not trying to nip on his fins)

so I'm just curious if they are trying to mate or what?

The male will chase the female and when he gets close enough he will point his bottom fin which has now converted into a tube like fin for passing the sperm into the female forward and poke it into her just behind her bottom fin that is it only has to be a split second of touching to impregnate :)

With livebearers the male tends to "harass " the females to mate and it can cause stress on her . Sometimes death. I keep one male to every two females . I do see a few babies from them but not many ! Anyway I think yours will probably breed Though since you have one of each sex!! :) hope I helped

Back
Top Bottom