How do hobby breeders handle the stock they create ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not euthanize mattcham. Euthanasia is putting down animals that are in pain or sick. You are farming them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You are correct. I used wrong wording.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So at what age do you typically make the stock choice?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As in who to cull and who to raise.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you are culling for color (want only albinos) you can cull immediately after birth. If you are culling for body shape (fancy Ranchu goldfish) you might not be able to cull until after 3 months. Depends on your fish and your goal. Be careful not to cull solely based on size (e.g. kill 50% of the slowest growing fry) because the size may be due to gender and size does not necessarily reflect resistance to disease. When my fish get sick due to transport or birthing related stress, it is not always the largest fish that survives.

Hey mattcham have you ever done a cold water euthanasia before? Just wondering because I did a crayfish once in -1deg Celsius salt water and it thrashed around for maybe 5 seconds vs instant movement stopping I've seen when people cook crabs and the like in boiling water.

I have not used cold water culling before. Only used them as feeder fish for larger fish in the past. Will need to start culling in about 2 months though...

I trade mine for store credit, give them away or sell/trade my guppies. I've never really had to cull really, I don't pull fry from the main tank so anyone who can't swim fast enough or what have you doesn't make it very long...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've never really had to cull really, I don't pull fry from the main tank so anyone who can't swim fast enough or what have you doesn't make it very long...

That's still culling, but the way nature intended.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know, I just consider it a bonus to not have to do it myself ;) plus my breeding plan has pretty much been as long as it's healthy and I enjoy the colors I keep it. Otherwise rehomed.

Back
Top Bottom