How do I breed ram cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both. Well, for me at least. Still new to the Ram scene but I'm already in love with them! Any tips?!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

you need to start with a tank 20 gal long the smallest, that has been up and running for a long time , 6 months is good, the water should be soft and acid and very clean ( the best filter you can get)
you need at least some of the tank to have a sand bottom
you need a male and female that get along (harder than it seems )
if they lay eggs it may take a few batches till the stop eating the eggs or fry
you will need very small live food to feed the fry , new born brine shrimp , micro worms (my favorite) , vinegar worms
rams are not a good beginners fish , to keep or breed

I've got a 60 gallon hex flat back tank. It's got a filter labeled for a 150 gal. Tank. Substrate is PFS and a couple live plants but will be adding more after I purchase a better light. Still having a tough time figuring out male or female on the Bolivians. Have a female GBR for sure. Testing the water tomorrow for the weekly test and will post numbers. Not necessarily looking for babies just think it'd be cool to have a breeding pair. A few new babies would be a nice added bonus though ?

best way to get a pair is to buy 6 of the small fish and let them grow up together and chances are you will get a pair or 2

I bought 2 Bolivians and 1 GBR. I have quite a few fish in there already so I wasn't sure how many I could add.

Back
Top Bottom