How do I keep Frys alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcm87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Molly just had frys and within about 1-2 seconds after popping out the other fish ate them including the mother. How do you keep them alive? How often do Mollys give birth? Do I need to worry about it again? Thanks for the help.

In my tank I have lots of plants, including floating plants. This give a large percentage of the new borns a good chance at survival.

for livebearing fish you can put the female into a breading box that you can buy at an lfs and the fry fall too the bottom where the female cant get them.

She is probably already pregnant. That is the wonder of the livebearer. It will probably be a month or so before she gives birth. At least that is about what it is for platies.

He just gave birth 1 day ago, I just want to make sure, she is already pregnant????? So once I see one little guy pop out, i will net her and put her in a "little box" and have too many fish to deal with. Are there any quidlines with frys? Do you feed them normally?

The best thing to do is to buy a breeder net, as I did today... Separate off the pregnant female into this net, and when she gives birth, the fry will hide in the (provided) fake plants. Then, after the mother gives birth, remove her from the net. The fry will survive!!

So then what do I do with the Fry? Just keep them alive and then sell them or what? I dont want 50 Mollys. :lol: :lol:

Most LFS will take them, sometimes for free sometimes they give store credit. Or else you use them as feeders or give thme to friends as feeders for things like oscars.

As for feeding them, for my platies I just use Hagen's Live Bearer food, which is very small in size. Also if there are live plants the babies will nibble algae and little things that live on the surface of the plants. Sometimes a little cooked egg yoke will do as well. Just a bit or it will foul up the water too much.

Double post. Sorry, the program didn't look like it was responding.

Back
Top Bottom