Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How Do You Breed Bolivian Rams?

I've been wanting Rams for about a month and have looked at everything on the internet I could find about breeding and keeping them but most of it is a bit vague. I got 5 Bolivian Rams from a Local Fish Store yesterday and they're doing pretty well, for now they're in a 20 Gallon Long but I plan on getting a 55 Gallon as soon as I can find a good deal on craigslist. Currently my plan is to keep the adult Bolivian Rams into the 55 Gallon tank and take out the fry when they're free swimming and put them in a 20 long. When the fry are bigger I'll put them in a 2nd 55 Gallon tank for them to grow out in until I'll either keep them or sell them.
My questions are:
How many Bolivian Rams could I keep in a 55 gallon tank? (standard dimensions)

For that number of Rams should I get a second 20 long for free swimmers? or would one be ok?

How big should the fry be when I move them from the 20 Long to the 55 Growout? (they should be big enough not to be eaten by rams up to 2" in the growout and shouldn't be a threat to the free swimmers before I take them out)

Or should I just get a tank in between the 20 and the 55? If so, what size tank and what size fish?

:t hanks::tha nks::thank s:

Old 03-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

You could keep a few in a 55 gallon tank probably 4 or 5 or more if you can keep up on water changes. Make sure you get a male to female ratio of atleast one male for every two females. To cause them to mate lower temperature to upper sixties and slowly raise to low eighties over a week and a half and feed them sun dried baby shrimp and hope for the best! I have had success by doing so in the past. Make sure to separate parents from fry fast or they will be eaten!!

Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'll be doing 30% W.C.s once a week, if I have time I'll do 20% twice a week. how many could I keep then? and If they were all paired up when I put them in could I put in a m:f ratio of 1:1?
Also, how should I do the grow out part? Would only two fry tanks be ok? (20 Long for small and 55 for big) Or should I get like a 30 or 40 gallon tank for the mid-sized fry? and What size fry should go in each fry tank?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

You can keep a max of around6 unless they are bonded pauses then you may be able to get 8 if you really stay on top of it. If they are bonded pairs a 1:1 ratio should be okay but you need an additional tank (your fry tank will do) to seperate then of needed. You should be fine with one fry tank and fry can be put back into the main tank as soon as they're large enough the they will not fit into the adults mouth. Feed fry dried shrimp first few days and then switch to normal food. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Are you saying 8 because of bioload or 8 because of territory? I'm going to put two 100 gallon sponge filters on it so bioload shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was saying 8 because of bioload but if you are getting those filters you should be able to put more in just stay on too of water changes and watch for aggressive behavior.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

how many would you recommend territory-wise?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'd start with what you have for now and the slowly increase by two fish every other week.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew. View Post
how many would you recommend territory-wise?

I'd say maybe 4-6 would be OK. I am planning on getting 4 for my 45 gallon, can't see why you couldn't for 55.

Cycling 45 Gallon. 🌊🐠🌊

Tags
bolivian, bolivian ram, bolivian rams, breed, ram, rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com