How do you know when guppies will drop their fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if he has some plants or multiple hiding spots he won't need a breeder box if he removes the females. Obviously it would be a lot easier but i guess its personal preference.

tarpon said:
You can put some decoration at the bottom of the box. Like guppy grass or semi large rocks or marbles. For them to hide in until you notice and get her out

I have a fake bonsai tree and a cave type thing for them to hide in already...

should be more than enough then just try to remove the females asap once she gives birth.

Oscarr19 said:
if he has some plants or multiple hiding spots he won't need a breeder box if he removes the females. Obviously it would be a lot easier but i guess its personal preference.

Actually the problem is I probably wont be able to get to my lfs in time... and I would rather spend my money on the one I mentioned, that automatically separates parents from fry. But it would take a few days to ship, so I think it will be too late by then.

Oscarr19 said:
should be more than enough then just try to remove the females asap once she gives birth.

Ok. I might be at school when it happens though. I hope a lot of them survive if that happens!

Actually the problem is I probably wont be able to get to my lfs in time... and I would rather spend my money on the one I mentioned, that automatically separates parents from fry. But it would take a few days to ship, so I think it will be too late by then.

This won't be the last time they breed so i'd go ahead and order it anyway.

ilostnemo said:
dangggg she bigh lol

Lol, ya. She's huge. But I can't see baby fish eyes through her tummy... is it normal to be able to??

Oscarr19 said:
The black spots they develop are the fry eyes.

Oh. Then that's a ton of eyes! Do u think the fry can see out? I wonder if the see me when I look at them! Lol

ilostnemo said:
i never go by the black rule. ive had them drop fry without them having black

It could also be color on the fry, but mist of the time the fry are just white colored...

I have the Penn Plax Aqua Nursery and I don't like it. It has terrible circulation, the fry have never gotten to the seperate compartment and get stuck in the tube. I went out and bought a $ 3.99 breeders net and it works MUCH better then my $ 30 (with shipping) Penn Plax Aqua Nursery.

Still no fry. :/ im confused... she still looks the same, if not bigger. Lol. I came up with a homemade fry separator. But I am not sure I sent to use it.

when she gets a square stomach she will give birth sometime that day or the next day. You also have very pretty guppies.

animalzrok2 said:
when she gets a square stomach she will give birth sometime that day or the next day. You also have very pretty guppies.

Well thanks! But frankly, I had no involvement in the work in breeding them to be so pretty.... I just them from a store! Lol! Wait til you see my male guppies! :)

Has she given birth yet or no? I'd love to see the males and her fry when she drops. (if she hasn't already.) By the way is this your first time with baby fry???

animalzrok2 said:
Has she given birth yet or no? I'd love to see the males and her fry when she drops. (if she hasn't already.) By the way is this your first time with baby fry???

Well no, but its the first time I will have had a whole batch of fry. I had three fry from my life science guppy tank in school, which by the way, was managed correctly and not overstocked. My teacher even put five females with one male! Lol. I can't get any pictures until tomorrow... I am at my dads house today.

Houston: we have lift off. I saw a fry hiding in the gravel. It is alive cuz I saw it swim. (Cheering from mission control) lol I gtg save its and possible find more fry! :) so happy!

Back
Top Bottom