How do you know when guppies will drop their fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The black spots they develop are the fry eyes.
Sorry, but I think the OP was refering to the gravid spor which is not dark because of fry eyes. I have heard that some people can see tiny eyes in the guppy's tummy, but that depends on the body color of the guppy and how transparent she is.
Congrats on the fry. I hope they all survive. Remember that the first drop is usually small, so later drops should be bigger. Guppy fry are quite cute.:)

I just moved my females to my ten gallon community. I have seen two fry so far, I hope there are more! I will post pics as soon as I do a water change.

maxwellag said:
Houston: we have lift off. I saw a fry hiding in the gravel. It is alive cuz I saw it swim. (Cheering from mission control) lol I gtg save its and possible find more fry! :) so happy!

Haha that's how it happened with me the first time. I didn't even know she was pregnant and then I look and see tinnny little babies swimming around. And I was like what the heck

Ok. Knowing that my yellow tails one was closer to birth than the other two, im pretty sure its her. But I still see baby eyes in her, so I moved her back to the 5 gallon tank that the only two fry are in. I really hope its her that had the fry. I might be able to get some pictures of the fry.

Got some pics believe it or not! The tip of the go sign is pointing to them in the pictures. Sorry if they are small to see, I can't zoom in on my phones camera without making them super blurry...

tarpon said:
Haha that's how it happened with me the first time. I didn't even know she was pregnant and then I look and see tinnny little babies swimming around. And I was like what the heck

Lol! These fry are surprisingly dark colored. I guess its only surprising cuz I have only ever seen one other batch of fry, which was at school, and all the fry were just plain white.

Cichildlife said:
Wow seems to small might be an early drop tiny but should be ok

Ya could be. The female that most likely had them still has baby eyes visible in her belly. So maybe... she hasn't had more yet.

I hope she's doing ok... her babies might've gotten stuck... :( or maybe she had a weird early birth. Not sure... any ideas?

Ya could be. The female that most likely had them still has baby eyes visible in her belly. So maybe... she hasn't had more yet.
What do you mean she still has baby eyes visible? The gravid spot is not composed of baby eyes. Do you mean other tiny hardly visible dots elsewhere in her belly behind the gravid spot?

Lol! These fry are surprisingly dark colored. I guess its only surprising cuz I have only ever seen one other batch of fry, which was at school, and all the fry were just plain white.
My guppy fry have been almost black or stark white and most things in the middle. Its variable.

absolutangel04 said:
What do you mean she still has baby eyes visible? The gravid spot is not composed of baby eyes. Do you mean other tiny hardly visible dots elsewhere in her belly behind the gravid spot?

Well im not sure... let me look again. I can't really tell now, she is being too active. I think she's stressed. It could be from the early birth or she may be in labor...

Still only two fry in there... im confused. Is it possible that she had all her fry, and all but two were eaten or killed?

The adult female just isn't herself right now, she wont eat and is over active... I think she's uncomfortable. Maybe she is just being really slow about labor...

Mollies guppies swordtails nd palaties dont eat when they give birth, drop... And how is she?

Cichildlife said:
Mollies guppies swordtails nd palaties dont eat when they give birth, drop... And how is she?

Well, last night about ten minutes ante the timer turned the light off, she started sloshing around water. the tank is in my room, so I heard it. I was worried that she jumped out through the little feeding whole, so I went to check on her, and turned the light back on. Her gravid spot was red. This morning, after the light was on for about 15 minutes, the spot turned black again. I goggled it and learned that when the light is on, the fry turn around and face the light, but when the light is off, the turn and face their mother's head. So I am thinking that the babies turned around a few times, and that stressed her out. I have the light off now and will see if her spot turns red again. She seems less spazzy, but I know she's still stressed.

Cichildlife said:
Well hope it all turns out

Me too. It looks like she has calms down, now that the lights are off. Is it possible that she's tresses about being the only person in the tank?

Possible but usually they dont care this looks like(from size) to be here first birth nd shes prolly scared nd doesnt really understand lol

Back
Top Bottom