How do you mate Mollies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StickyOto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a tank with 3 Marble Mollies and other fish. 1 of them is a male 2 of them female. I have plastic plants a wood log and a small boat and Squidward's home in a 29g it has gravel for the flooring. :thanks:

Breeding livebearers is not a hard task, keep the water clean, at a steady temp, feed well and they will do their own thing. I do recommend getting another female Molly that way your male won't stress out the two females too much.

butterfly_koi said:
Mating livebearers is not a hard task, keep the water clean, at a steady temp, feed well and they will do their own thing. I do recommend getting another female Molly that way your male won't stress out the two females too much.

Yup ^_^ right on!

Once you get them going its hard to stop. The hardest part ( which is still pretty easy) is catching and caring for the fry. You may consider trying to add some bushy plants ( real or fake but real plants can feed fry that hide in them) some of my favorites are java moss and anacharis

Step one get mollies

Step two - wait (or get pregnant mollies

Step three - become stressed out trying to find homes for all the fry.

Lol this is pretty funny.

To tell if one is pregnant when you buy it, look for a gravid spot. It will look like a dark triangle on the underside of them. If they have this, theyll be giving birth soon, that's the babies in there!

Mollies have the ability to store sperm. That way the only need to encounter a male once and they can have broods just about monthly. Be careful, they are a hassle to get rid of, some lfs won't even take them..

Back
Top Bottom