how do you spawn your bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
EDIT: They have had several embraces now over the last hour, but I haven't seen the female drop any eggs yet!
My water is very hard tapwater, I use prime. PH is usually 7.6-7.8. Nitrate levels usually around 5 with all the plants.

***UPDATE**** EGGS ARE FALLING!!!!!!! Video being uploaded :dance:

I've read several articles... And I have a beautiful solid red male and a white female with red fins. I am interested in trying to get them to spawn but want to see how anyone here does it.

Ive had them for a few months.. I feed a good diet if frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, and omega one betta pellets. My male always has a bubble nest, and I put the female in a breeding box to introduce them, she had her head down and he was flaring and tending his nest. She is white so I can't see her bars.

When I released her I was afraid the male was a little too aggressive so I put her back in the breeder box for the night. I know they chase a lot, but he would only leave her alone for a few seconds before going after her again.

Another picture. I know a bare bottom tank is reccomended, but ive read several approaches and some say a heavily planted tank with sand is fine if you aren't too concerned with losing a few eggs. Also I've read to lower the water level and ive also read its not necessary to lower the water level. This is only a 5 gallon tank so its not that deep anyway.

ForumRunner_20111217_221713.jpg

Thanks holly :)

So can anyone tell me how you've been succesful with spawning bettas?

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Nobody on here has had bettas spawn successfully? I'm sure someone on here can tell me how you've done it?

She is still in the breeder box this morning. I will take her out again tonight if he has rebuilt his bubble nest. I accidently disrupted it last night because I added the floating plants and a piece of bubble wrap to help hold the nest together.

Oh wow! That's amazing! Congratulations on the spawning! That takes a bunch of effort to breed bettas! I hope everything turns out good for you! Please continue to post pictures! I'm extremely curious to see how everything turns out. Congrats on the spawning:)

No clue, but I know with my paradisefish that they were at it for a few hours straight and then afterwards the male was tending/guarding the nest from everything in the tank that moved.

So I should just go take a bath and do some laundry and come back later??? I can't stop watching! LOL

And they are on my kitchen counter and I have begged my husband not to touch anything on that counter, he keeps opening drawers, cabinets, slamming dishes in the sink.. grrrrr. I am afraid the vibrations will disturb them.

Hmmm, still no eggs :( female is obviously plump and you can see her breeding tube protruding. They've been at it for about 2 hours... I'm gonna go take a bath .

ForumRunner_20111218_214224.jpg

http://youtu.be/HWNXnGKUtk8

Okay, so I have no idea how many eggs where expelled while I took a bath, but I watched them embrace several times with the male collecting eggs and the female would continue to swim up to him expectantly, nudging him for the next embrace. Then suddenly she swam to the opposite side of the tank. He followed her and started showing off for her again and I thought she might swim back to nest but she continued to run from him. Things looked like they were about to get Ugly, so I removed her and put her back in her tank. She is resting now and Dad is proudly attending his bubble nest. I can't wait to see those babies!!!!!! :D

This has been an amazing thing to witness!

That is so great! Congrats on the eggs. I hope your fry develop well too. I bet they will be very pretty since the mom and dad are so lovely. :) I have a similar looking betta pair I would like to try to spawn someday.
What are your plans for the fry? Are you going to separate them all right away, or wait for them to grow a little bit?

Back
Top Bottom