How far along?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliGee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all!

I am a new guppy mother (soon to be grandmother). When I got her a couple days ago she was clearly already hit. From what I have read/seen she wasn't quite there yet so I have just been watching her.

Today I noticed she couldn't stop having bowel movements... And I mean couldn't stop! She alao seemed to be nipping at her poo and would then spit it out. So I got a little more curious and am wondering if any of you may have a guess as too aprox. how far along she is?

Please let me know if the pictures aren't showing up. I apologize for the quality, my phone is malfunctioning! Haha

image-223562452.jpg

image-1556802002.jpg

Here is a clearer picture.

I can also see the black dots (eyes?) pretty easily although they are very small.

image-204113210.jpg

It appears that she is pretty far along. Guppies reproduce quickly and typically you will have fry between 26-31 days. The belly gets real big and round like you are seeing there and sometimes even boxy looking. If you can see dark spots there is a chance that they are eyes which means that you are really close. Could be seeing fry anytime. Based on what I can see and what you said, I would guess within the next 2-3 days. Hope that this helps.

Thank you! How exciting!

She is currently in a moderately planted 20L with one male guppy, 5 neon tetras, 3 corydoras, 2 gold pristilla tetras, and a small colony of blue shrimp. There is ample java moss and hornwort to hide in. Should I leave her in the tank or separate her? I just don't want her to be too stressed or eat her babies.

Here she is today. Tons of poo, no babies!

image-4178397661.jpg

image-1994021722.jpg

image-3004631936.jpg

Just be careful not to leave her in the breeder for to long. I made the mistake and overnight my pregnant momma died :(

Just be careful not to leave her in the breeder for to long. I made the mistake and overnight my pregnant momma died :(

I took her out after taking these pictures. It was just impossible to get a good look at her otherwise. I think she has a few more days left. I'm hoping by this weekend!

I took her out after taking these pictures. It was just impossible to get a good look at her otherwise. I think she has a few more days left. I'm hoping by this weekend!

Definitely soon!

There are a couple of things you can consider. I have used the breeders before but found that they typically stress out momma a lot. I no longer use breeding separators and have kind of a survival of the fittest mentality about it. When I had my smaller tank set up, I used it as kind of a nursery and would just net the fry when I saw them and dump them in the other tank. The nice thing for you is all the planting and hiding places that you have. As long as you keep everybody well few (not overfed...fine line there) your other tank mates should leave your fry alone. In that small of a tank, you may encounter over crowding very quickly if you try to save them all. Unless you plan on getting another tank...you are going to have to figure out what to do with your extra fish. Just some things for you to consider. Good luck and keep us posted.

There are a couple of things you can consider. I have used the breeders before but found that they typically stress out momma a lot. I no longer use breeding separators and have kind of a survival of the fittest mentality about it. When I had my smaller tank set up, I used it as kind of a nursery and would just net the fry when I saw them and dump them in the other tank. The nice thing for you is all the planting and hiding places that you have. As long as you keep everybody well few (not overfed...fine line there) your other tank mates should leave your fry alone. In that small of a tank, you may encounter over crowding very quickly if you try to save them all. Unless you plan on getting another tank...you are going to have to figure out what to do with your extra fish. Just some things for you to consider. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the response! This is not my only tank, it is just the tank I consider to be the most friendly and peaceful community tank. =) I will let things happen naturally and already have a 5 gallon ready for when they start getting too big.

I've seen my guppies get quite a bit larger than that. I would guess a little but longer than the other guesses, but then again, I'm sure all fishes and pregnancies are different! Either way, good luck! Guppies are fun babies to have!

She's finally been having her babies for the last two hours! Lost count around 25-30 but they are all healthy and swimming strong! Only one was underdeveloped and still basically and egg with eyes. They are so cute!

Here are a few pictures. She's had 8 more since my last post... This forum really blurs pictures but oh well.

image-3301753428.jpg

image-3654185490.jpg

image-2423214624.jpg

Current count of alive and healthy is 37! Way to go Mom!

image-3373193393.jpg

It's great watching, my guppy had 32 and there 2 and a half weeks old, some a very tiny and a lot have grown a lot, I'm wondering wether the small ones are boys, I'm just cycling a 30 litre tank for them

Back
Top Bottom