Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

How far along are these mollys

I just got these few Mollys today, 6 female and a male, all the females have very large bellies and I'm just wondering how much longer till they will giv birth? Will the "square off" like a guppy?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400406027.591882.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	237591

Old 05-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Their ballon mollys! No clue

Old 05-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh right haha, there so cute, look like little chickens roosting. As it turned out one had 8 fry the other night. A lot easier to spot them than the guppy fry. I've moved them to my fry tank now.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Balloon molly are next to impossible to guess for me. I do watch for the "o" shape of the female's hole. I also look for cornered behavior, rapid up & down swimming, excessive hiding, and/or squaring. Usually I'm within 72 hours of birth so fairly decent but not spot on as I am with the guppy, regular molly, and platy.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have just purchased 4 Molly's today (1male 3females) and I have 2 pregnant females. One orange and black and one Dalmatian. But like yourself I have no idea when to expect the babies. This is a new aquarium and these are the first fish in it..

Your friendly fish friend
sidgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just had my fish clutch of babies.... Got about 15-20 but a fair few have been eaten.... Natural selection and all that. In the process of getting a nursery.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I got 6 female n a male. So far 3 have given birth, I got to c two of them giv birth, about 7 or 8 I collected each time n another 3 today I found hiding in my plants. I hav them all in my fry tank now, guppies n mollies together. I tink the "O" shaped bum hole is a good one haha, I had noticed that wit the ones who had the fry, but I just thought, hmm they hav quite rounded *******s, very noticeable being white on a black body haha.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs500doo View Post
Balloon molly are next to impossible to guess for me. I do watch for the "o" shape of the female's hole. I also look for cornered behavior, rapid up & down swimming, excessive hiding, and/or squaring. Usually I'm within 72 hours of birth so fairly decent but not spot on as I am with the guppy, regular molly, and platy.

I have normal mollies and I have the up and down swimming, and the corner behaviour with one but really hard to spot the 'o' due to be a Dalmatian lol...

Tags
long, molly, mollys

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com