Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How far off is this pregnant Molly?

I have a female Dalmatian Molly in a 135 gallon tank (amongst other fish) there are currently no male mollies in the tank but I bought her recently from an Aquatics shop so she would have been impregnated there. Iíve had her for 3 weeks and sheís had the same size belly for 17 days now. I intend to keep the babies so I need to put her in a trap as she is giving birth but I donít know when she is due or how long i have to wait. The top photo is what she looked like when I got her, the second is one I took today...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15D6AF91-FD93-43A0-940C-AEB9CA4CC4FF.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	308872   Click image for larger version

Name:	1013FE2A-A2F5-425B-9D29-4519DC3E6D45.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	308873  

Old 05-14-2018, 12:44 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

All I know is whatever time I think, will be completely wrong .....

Old 05-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello lyds...

You don't need to move the female. This is risky and if you've never done this before, rough handling can cause injury. It's best to heavily plant the surface of the tank to create hiding places for the fry once they show up. Anacharis is about the best. It grows quickly floating close to the light source. If you start feeding all the fish a little more and more often, they'll generally pay little or no attention to the fry. To encourage livebearing females to drop their fry, just gradually work up to the point you remove and replace most of the tank water weekly. Make the new, treated tap water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank. The combination of pure water conditions and a bit more food should get you the fry you're wanting.

B
Old 05-14-2018, 11:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, it's a guessing game with Molly's. Mine had hers in floating plants in my tank. Didn't know it till I seen her skinnier. Looked up to the top of my tank and seen a lot of baby's in my water spirit plant. My 2 females have been pregnant for a long time and both was when I got them seems like 3-4 months ago they were shipped pregnant too. So who knows. Best thing to do is get something you can float. And they can swim around in. House plant clippings work really good if you have any ivy type. I threw a few clipping of mine in the other side of the tank when I seen my angels chasing them. Got 2 baby's left/ saved in a hatchery now. Lol! And more on the way. 😁 Angel fish shark bait. Lol!

Tags
molly, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com