how hard is to to breed corys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redruckus

Aquarium Advice Freak
im going to have a 135gal tank and am planning on getting some rare all black corys with my discus and school fish... and im wondering how easy or hard it would be to breed them if it would even be posible

I would say it's not hard but my little 'darlings' wont budge. I cross breed them which is harder but I have previously cross bred the same types before. Also which type? As it can get harder with types, most rare corys are hard to breed, hence why they are rare :) but I'm sure you could manage if you tried hard enough esp with a 135 gal. :D

Corydoras sp. "black" are the ones im wanting to get because they can handle a warm discus tank... but like i said they are kinda costly but i realy like them so if i drop 15$ a fish i want to see if i can get more out of 5 then to just buy 10

I'm interested in this too, I'm just going to start with albino corys/bronze corys. Would it be better to buy a few from different LFS to ensure they aren't to close in the gene pool?

so any tips or tricks to breed corys so i can at least give them optimal conditions so they might breed

Do you have pictures of them? I have black corys and bred them a few times last year.

Corys in general are not that hard to breed but some species do take quite a while to become mature enough to breed.

hmm apeerently the ones im getting a wild and are known to withstand warmer water thats why i was going to get a school of them in my 135gal discus tank

That's interesting. There seems to be a bit of discussion about this strain on the planetcatfish site so it might be worth looking into.

Have a look at this thread

View topic - Corydoras aeneus black Venezuela• Forum • PlanetCatfish.com

Here's a pic of one of mine
img_1527627_0_33c5aa6df7c283b90f244f9f701af485.jpg

hmm interesting but what are some tips on breeding corys? like do i need caves or a certain plant... water peramiters? and so on

neutral water is fine, they tend to lay eggs on the glass and floating objects near the surface. Often times I can tell they are spawning soon if I see them darting up and down along the back glass all together. One thing that has helped me is doing a large water change with water that is cooler than the water in the tank.

Although sometimes they just don't breed, mine bred once every few weeks for months but then just stopped one day and haven't started again.

ok im proli not going to atempt the cold water thing because im going to have a school of them in my discus tank and the cold water is realy gona stress out my fish

Back
Top Bottom