how long are guppies pregnant before giving birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marliah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 4 females who are definately pregnant and looking pretty big, I try to get the fry within a few hours of birth to keep them from being eaten, but I have yet to figure out what the average pregnancy length is for these guys, out of probably 15-20 births I have only had the joy of being there to see one (amazing!).

Also can mollies be pregnant quite young? I have a pair and the female looks quite round but she is still just a baby herself (1" long at best, I think about 3/4"). Is she too young to be pregnant already or are mollies like guppies in that aspect (get pregnant almost from birth LOL)?

Tara

The average gestation period for a guppy in optimal conditions is 4wks. But, they can go as early as 3wks or as long as 5wks if tank conditions are not great. She can, and probably will be, bred again right after giving birth.

Live bearers in general can bred as soon as they reach sexual maturity anywhere from 3-9 months but the ideal age would be one to two years.

Gestation is a month (period of pregenancy, incase you didn't know lol)

They reach sexual maturity at about 6 months

HTH :)

Males mollies are ready to breed at 3-4 months, I know...I have some lol. The females are better to be left unbred until they're about 6-9 months cuz then they're bigger o.o at least, that's what I'd do, or wait til they're at least 1 when they're fully grown

sometimes if you try to put them in a breeder net they dont give birth and wait another couple weeks... so personally i find it easier to try and catch the fry

Back
Top Bottom