How long before guppies mate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joyaust said:
If I put a male and a female guppy in a tank for breeding purposes how long will it take before he has made her pregnant

Where did you get your guppies? Most females are pregnant when you get them... Just may not be showing yet.
Someone responded not long ago to someone asking how to make their guppies breed...
They said, "Add water."
Guppies, mollies and most other live bearers are very prolific and persistent breeders...

I got mine at my LFS but where I get them they keep them separate from each other so when I buy them they are not pregnant.

They are probably still pregnant it only takes one male to make it over the great divide to get most of the females pregnant I'd give it a
Day or two and then it will be done lol just look for your females getting nice and fat :)

Already had them for 5 weeks and still nothing. And trust me, unless these fish can fly they can't cross the great device even if they wanted to. They are kept in separate tanks. LOL.

I had guppies before and got rid of them because they were breeding like creazy i was running short on tanks. Trust me when they start breeding they will go nuts :)

I understand they are really good breeders I have had mine for quite a few months and had many accidental batches of fry I have separated my genders now but wish to breed certain female with certain male and just wanted to know how long I should leave them together before putting them back in the appropriate places.

joyaust said:
I understand they are really good breeders I have had mine for quite a few months and had many accidental batches of fry I have separated my genders now but wish to breed certain female with certain male and just wanted to know how long I should leave them together before putting them back in the appropriate places.

Just keep them together until the female starts getting fat

If you want the female fat then feed her, the way to tell pregnant from full is to look for the gravid spot. Just above and infront of the anal fin is where this is located. You can likely see the fishes stomach, it's just behind the stomach. When pregnant there will be a noticeable dark patch, that's babies. If your trying to selective breed then seperating fish as you sex them is essential cause they breed like mad and the females actually store the males guppy goo for up to three months. I've recently got into breeding them but my intent is as live feeders so being selective doesn't concern me.

kdpuffer said:
If you want the female fat then feed her, the way to tell pregnant from full is to look for the gravid spot. Just above and infront of the anal fin is where this is located. You can likely see the fishes stomach, it's just behind the stomach. When pregnant there will be a noticeable dark patch, that's babies. If your trying to selective breed then seperating fish as you sex them is essential cause they breed like mad and the females actually store the males guppy goo for up to three months. I've recently got into breeding them but my intent is as live feeders so being selective doesn't concern me.

Would by a chance know how to find out uf my longfin danios are pregnant ? They look bigger, i just dont know when to put them into the breeding tank.

I can't help with danios sorry, I just recently started breeding guppies as feeder fish so did some research. Try google.

Back
Top Bottom