How long does it take

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mileymoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
My guppy has had 4 fry in a hour she had one stuck for 20 minutes tail end out first 2 of the fry are laying on the bottom is that normal and how long will it take and ruffly how many will she have and when do I take her out, and when do I feed them and what on

No way to tell how long or how many. I had one that took 4 hours for only 10 fry, and another that took about 1 hour for 40 fry. Just watch the behavior and you should be able to tell when she's done - lack of shivery movements, back to eating normally, not hiding as much, etc.

The fry tend to hide, so if sitting still on the bottom is giving them the best cover then that's normal. Mine usually stay at the bottom for a bit, then go up and hide in the floating plants I keep just for them.

Feed them a variety of foods if possible, but feed often - like 4-6x/day 1st week, 4x/day 2nd week, slowly going down to 3x and then 2x over the first 6 weeks. Boil an egg and mix a small amount of the yolk with water and feed a small amount (don't mess up the water quality too badly!), crush flake food into powder and feed that (good for overnight), micro-worms, baby brine shrimp, or you can buy first bites food in the store.

Enjoy your fry!

No way to tell how long or how many. I had one that took 4 hours for only 10 fry, and another that took about 1 hour for 40 fry. Just watch the behavior and you should be able to tell when she's done - lack of shivery movements, back to eating normally, not hiding as much, etc.

The fry tend to hide, so if sitting still on the bottom is giving them the best cover then that's normal. Mine usually stay at the bottom for a bit, then go up and hide in the floating plants I keep just for them.

Feed them a variety of foods if possible, but feed often - like 4-6x/day 1st week, 4x/day 2nd week, slowly going down to 3x and then 2x over the first 6 weeks. Boil an egg and mix a small amount of the yolk with water and feed a small amount (don't mess up the water quality too badly!), crush flake food into powder and feed that (good for overnight), micro-worms, baby brine shrimp, or you can buy first bites food in the store.

Enjoy your fry!
Great Advice.......

Thank u gobbledygook, that's great advice I was feeling a bit dis hearten has no one seemed to reply to my threads it didn't help I was putting them in the wrong place, mum is fine back with the others the baby's are in a floating box, is there anything you can recommend if I put them in with the others I'm scared they'll get eaten, as I have twoCory's, should I put some plants in I was going to go and see if I could get them a bigger box, as it onlys small I have 34 fry none dead she did have 4 eggs but they've disappeared I think my pearl goramis ate them, any advice is greatly appreciated thanks again

Thank u gobbledygook, that's great advice I was feeling a bit dis hearten has no one seemed to reply to my threads it didn't help I was putting them in the wrong place, mum is fine back with the others the baby's are in a floating box, is there anything you can recommend if I put them in with the others I'm scared they'll get eaten, as I have twoCory's, should I put some plants in I was going to go and see if I could get them a bigger box, as it onlys small I have 34 fry none dead she did have 4 eggs but they've disappeared I think my pearl goramis ate them, any advice is greatly appreciated thanks again
If you have glass cleaning magnets, you could use a food container or any large plastic container. Make sure it's clean though. New is best. Secure it to the side of the tank with the magnets. You can put them in the main tank, without the trap if it's only Cory's. They will not bother them. I have put them in with Cory's before and the fry were the one bothering the corys...lol. You could put them in with other fish if you have a lot of real/fake plants but it is inevitable some will be eaten....

Attachments

• DSCF7325~1.jpg
    DSCF7325~1.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF7329.jpg
    DSCF7329.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF7329~1.jpg
    DSCF7329~1.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 55
Just bought a big netted container only £5 much bigger but could fix it in place safely then I read your reply my algae magnet brilliant idea thank you so much

Glad it all worked out! Ian's advice on the plastic container is great. I've done that but used bag clips to hold it on the side instead of magnets. Wish I had thought of magnets!

Your net will be fine. I tend to keep mine in a net for at least a couple of days so I can feed them heavily and get them used to my fingers delivering edibles. Then I dump them into the fry & snail tank and they swim right up when I come over wiggling fingers signalling food is coming. So much fun to watch them grow!

Post pics when you can! :)

A female guppy can have as few as three or four babies in her first 'drop'. As she has more babies (every 4 weeks or so) numbers can increase to 100 or more, but tend to average around 40 per drop.

In a community tank, a female may become stressed as she gets close to giving birth and this can cause her to miscarry, or give birth a little too early, resulting in weakened fry that may not survive. Good news is, yuor babies appear to be doing well.

Next time your female looks ready to drop (when she looks fit to burst!), try placing her in the net cage away from the other tank inahbitants where she can have her babies in peace. Females rarely eat their own babies, so wait til she has finished the rplace her in the tank and raise the fry in the net until they are big enough to survive the hungry mouths in the main tank

I know my other female has had hers and I've haven't seen a single fry, I think she was early because she wasn't due she wasn't big, you could see the fry in her belly though

Back
Top Bottom