how long in labour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Platy dropped some fry sometime in the last 24 hours- I caught two, but I am wondering how long it takes for them to drop them all? I am not sure whether I should still be looking for more? I have to admit it caught me off guard a bit as I didn't think she was ready yet.

im not sure about platys.
but my dads guppy started dropping am some time after he left and at lunch she was still dropping he got home 10 hours later after he was done work and she was still dropping.
i hope its the same.. but i think about as long is it takes her to feel comfortable
if they are somewhat like humans. well then one time it can take a few hours and sometiems it can take long.
i dont think you have anything to worry about.
or maybe your other tank mates ate them.
my dad said he saw a molly catch them when they dropped and at about two of them.
i hope i help and i hope it makes sense :)

Thanks- makes perfect sense- I was mostly wondering how long I have to keep my eyes peeled on the tank- and as it turns out I found two more today- more than 24 hours later. I suspect this means she was still having them as my tank isn't that big (20 G) and only has two good hiding spots which I kept checking thoroughly... I woke up this morning with quite the kink in my neck which I think I can easily chalk up to baby fish searching... quite funny since I originally wanted to avoid keeping the babies.... but once I saw them I just couldn't let them become dinner... so now I have a floating nursery which quickly replaced the tupperware holding tank! Guess I won't be buying the other platy varieties I was hoping for with these 4 new additions. sigh. :) But there so darn cute!

aw. if you wanted lay some big plants floating on top .. and the fry usually hides there very well. I dont know if its the same for all live bearers but i would sure hope so.
and maybe next time you will wake up with 20-30-maybe even forty babies.
and yes should could have possibly had them 24 hours later or they are better hiders then you thought?
what kind of stuff do you have in your tank. decorations, plants, driftwood?

Back
Top Bottom