How Long til Platy Birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has she had anymore or is she done? What are you going to do with all of those fry? What do you feed them when they are so small?

Bearchumjs said:
Has she had anymore or is she done? What are you going to do with all of those fry? What do you feed them when they are so small?

Well she didn't have any in the 10g so she hasn't had any in 12 hours or so... Slim possibility she's holding on because she didn't like being moved... But doubtful. I found 14 total so far today. Other fish in tank had black poo today so evidence some were eaten.

In my experience they don't eat until the end of day 2, beginning of day 3... They get their nourishment from their yolk sacs...
I feed ground up flakes ...

Once they're big enough they go up on Craigslist...

When I had larger batches of mollies I sold them to a LFS ... 25 juvies for $10.. Is what they gave me.

ocminpin said:
Well she didn't have any in the 10g so she hasn't had any in 12 hours or so... Slim possibility she's holding on because she didn't like being moved... But doubtful. I found 14 total so far today. Other fish in tank had black poo today so evidence some were eaten.

In my experience they don't eat until the end of day 2, beginning of day 3... They get their nourishment from their yolk sacs...
I feed ground up flakes ...

Once they're big enough they go up on Craigslist...

When I had larger batches of mollies I sold them to a LFS ... 25 juvies for $10.. Is what they gave me.

I'm glad you got 14! Thank you for the information. Maybe my variatus will have fry some day.

Looking in on the fry this morning everyone is alive and appearing well... I'll start feeding them tomorrow morning... they're so cute all hunkered down together at the bottom of the heater... Like a litter of puppies :)

I had to set up my 10g and move them over there... The container they were in got too warm and cut down the oxygen... Down to 10 fry (lost 4)
I'm waiting to go to the store in a few hours for another filter intake sponge, more plastic plants and some filler to make a filter pad...
My spare 10g is officially up again... When my other platy gives birth I'll just have to let her birth in her home tank and move fry into this fry tank...

I had to set up my 10g and move them over there... The container they were in got too warm and cut down the oxygen... Down to 10 fry (lost 4)
I'm waiting to go to the store in a few hours for another filter intake sponge, more plastic plants and some filler to make a filter pad...
My spare 10g is officially up again... When my other platy gives birth I'll just have to let her birth in her home tank and move fry into this fry tank...

I was wondering what you put in your fry tank? Mine has 2 fake plants, marimo moss ball & a clam bubbler (not hooked up) and no gravel. Should i put more in there?

RaygunK said:
I was wondering what you put in your fry tank? Mine has 2 fake plants, marimo moss ball & a clam bubbler (not hooked up) and no gravel. Should i put more in there?

Barebottom... For cleaning purposes and fake plants....

There are only 4 left alive.... Don't know why they aren't making it... They wind up on their sides trying to swim intermittently... And then dying.
I'm not doing anything different than ever before ... Just seems my Molly fry are stronger than the Platies... Hmmm...
:-( sad and disappointed..

ocminpin said:
There are only 4 left alive.... Don't know why they aren't making it... They wind up on their sides trying to swim intermittently... And then dying.
I'm not doing anything different than ever before ... Just seems my Molly fry are stronger than the Platies... Hmmm...
:-( sad and disappointed..

So sorry to hear about the loss of the fry. Are your parameters in check? Fry are quite sensitive, which I'm sure you know since you've had fish give birth before. Molly fry do tend to be stronger. Moving them after being born could have caused too much stress. Hope the rest make it. Good luck!

derail said:
So sorry to hear about the loss of the fry. Are your parameters in check? Fry are quite sensitive, which I'm sure you know since you've had fish give birth before. Molly fry do tend to be stronger. Moving them after being born could have caused too much stress. Hope the rest make it. Good luck!

Thank you.. :-(

Yes.. 8.0, 0, 0, 10

I've been chasing this very smart and elusive fry for a day and a half now... Had three separate occasions I've missed it because he darted and burrowed back in the gravel completely out of sight... Once more tonight I looked (after looking once and missing tonight already) and managed to catch it and put with it's brothers and sisters :)

So... We have 5... My favorite number! They are beginning to eat today... Day 3 :)

UPDATE!! I have 4 healthy babies ... They were born April 17th (4 wks, 4 days old) ... are in my 20g L with a ton of 2-3 wk old Molly Fry...

2 fry are Gold Twinbar & it appears other two are regular colored Platies...

Regular colored platy fry... Others blend in too much and dart around...

View attachment 95567

View attachment 95568

Congratulations! Fry are always exciting! Most start getting full colors after a few weeks to a month or so.

derail said:
Congratulations! Fry are always exciting! Most start getting full colors after a few weeks to a month or so.

I love that there are a couple that are different...
My twin bars show faint black lines at about a week or two.... These two are getting brighter like maybe they are red Platies...

Back
Top Bottom