How long until corydoras are mature enough to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whatsgoodm8

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone :)
I have 1.5 inch bronze cory cats that I bought a few weeks ago. I'm wondering how long it take them to reach adult size and will they be able to breed by then? Also, I've read that cold water changes trigger breeding in adult cories but are they really that simple to breed because that sounds almost as simple as breeding livebearers.
Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone :)
I have 1.5 inch bronze cory cats that I bought a few weeks ago. I'm wondering how long it take them to reach adult size and will they be able to breed by then? Also, I've read that cold water changes trigger breeding in adult cories but are they really that simple to breed because that sounds almost as simple as breeding livebearers.
Thanks in advance!
Bronze Cories ( C. Aeneus) are a long lived fish so they don't need to get to full adult size to breed. They start to breed at about 2" in length. Whether they will breed is another story. If you give them the right conditions, you increase the chances of them breeding. If you keep them fed but not with ideal foods or water parameters, they will still grow but probably not want to breed. So your question can be answered: yes, no and maybe. ;)
Getting them to spawn is actually not the hard part. Raising the fry is much harder. They are NOT as easy as livebearers at all. :nono:

Spot on Andy!

IF they breed, It's all about raising the fry.

Watch out for the T position!
That's a key moment for you.
I know from experience. :( I'm currently working with C. sterbai and after finally getting a spawn to hatch ( I collected 5 eggs during the spawn) I haven't been able to get the breeders to stop eating the eggs. I have watched a male chase the female all around while she was looking for a place to place the eggs and steal the eggs from her fins and I have watched the female finally place her eggs and then right after, drift back down and eat them. Getting them to spawn is the easy part for sure. ;)

Yeah, that's a shame. Corydoras exhibit no further brood care post egg laying, get them out quick!
If it's the groups first spawn don't worry, one day you'll see 30-70 or even more eggs dotted about.

From my limited experience, it's best (for egg numbers) to get the adults out in a timely fashion.

Maybe them eggs taste good! I might try them.... (Only joking!)
Years ago my clown loach lived on Cory eggs. I had around 28 Cory unknown sexual ratio, but they were laying in the big tank. Literally hundreds of eggs, and that's understated! The clowns readily ate them!

Like I'm giving you advice! Hah...... Now that's funny........

Yeah, that's a shame. Corydoras exhibit no further brood care post egg laying, get them out quick!
If it's the groups first spawn don't worry, one day you'll see 30-70 or even more eggs dotted about.

From my limited experience, it's best (for egg numbers) to get the adults out in a timely fashion.

Maybe them eggs taste good! I might try them.... (Only joking!)
Years ago my clown loach lived on Cory eggs. I had around 28 Cory unknown sexual ratio, but they were laying in the big tank. Literally hundreds of eggs, and that's understated! The clowns readily ate them!

Like I'm giving you advice! Hah...... Now that's funny........
:D :D

Yeah, they became too much work so now I have them separated and will try again when I feel up to a let down. :( :lol:

I know that feeling, I acquired a group of c. Agassizii for breeding but so far I haven't managed to find the time. Which is a shame.......the fish are happy though... At least I think they are!
Best of luck to you! I'm sure you'll crack it eventually.

Back
Top Bottom