How much longer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
How much till she gives birth?

Attachments

• image-737913821.jpg
    image-737913821.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3256900541.jpg
    image-3256900541.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 59
Soon she has a dark gravid spot if she is done squaring off then I would say 1 week or close. Also if she starts hiding and behavior changes. So my guess is between 1-2 weeks.

Fishguy1997 said:
Thanks should I move her cause I want to save most of the fry

I would get another opinion just to back me up but if you don't get some soon then I would go for it. Bubbles is the expert at this stuff!

Fishie said:
I would get another opinion just to back me up but if you don't get some soon then I would go for it. Bubbles is the expert at this stuff!

LOL thanks Fishie!

She looks to have another week or so to go so I agree with you Fishie . Do you have another tank for her to birth in or do you have a breeders trap? If you have another tank id move her in with some friends at the end of this week.

Edit, if you have a breeders trap then I'd put her in when you see her vent open. The vent will look like her gravid spot but down to the "edge" of her outline.

I have a breeding trap but it's broken so the fry could swim out the side but she can't so I I put her in a seperate tank she would have to be alone

Ok, I would add some extra media to your filter to seed it ( it's usually good to have extra in there if you has a birthing tank that has to be put up and taken down with the births) if you don't like the idea of taking to and putting down a tank constantly, then getting a new breeders trap is right. With the extra birth tank you will want a filter , preferably sponge filter, ( if not cover the intake with a pair of new pantyhose) and fill with your seeded media. ( another thing you can do is take some gravel from your tank and let it hang in the tank aswell) that will help with the cycle. If your going to raise the fry, add tons of plants ( do that any way) they will eat the tiny stuff off of mosses ( I use java moss) off the first part of their life. When they get to about 1/3 an inch feed hen powdered flake food ( or whatever the adults eat) once they start to get color they are ready for the big tank.
If your going with the trap, only put her in when you see her vent open. Maximum of a night ( they like privacy too!!!) if you wake up in the morning and there are no fry then let her out.

Sorry for rambling lol

Thanks so much so just adding gravel will cycle it and is it ok if the tank has gravel?

Adding gravel won't cycle it, it will help the seeded media, what size tank is he mom in now? If it has two media pieces then I'd take one and move the other into the birthing tank, as I said the gravel only helps. If this tank already has gravel, be careful. The momma may chase the dry into the gravel is she's left there after birthing. That can cause the fry to get stuck.

Fishguy1997 said:
Thanks so much so just adding gravel will cycle it and is it ok if the tank has gravel?

Welcome ^ :) you don't have to have gravel to start your cycle just a tank, filter ,and water! It is ok but some fry I might get stuck in gravel or crushed. This hasnt happen to me though! You got it ^ imma slip out!

The mom is in a 10 gallon tank with an aquaclear 20 I made a sponge filter my self by taking a
Tetra whisper 1-3 and taking a sponge from the aqua clear and cutting it so the filter intake fits in it so it doesn't suck up the fry but it's a sponge right out of the box I could take the one out of the filter now and put the other sponge in is that good ?

Like put the seeded media around the intake? I would say put it into the box or whatever, the cover you made is perfect, add some plants too ( real or fake ) it will let the fry hide. Try to get some sinking and some floating too. Some fry go up and others go down.

It has a cartisrige that goes in it it doesn't have room for the sponge... Could I hang the cartridge in the 10 gallon would that sees it?

You mean like the media won't fit? Ty bending it in half to make it fit. The sponge on the intake will work , and I'm looking forward to the pic!!

Thanks...... Tonmorow after noon I'll have it all set up.... And I'll post pictures tyhen

So I put her in the breeding trap I made cause she looked ready her she is do you guys think she is?

image-2875205917.jpg

Still a touch more to go. let her out again. Don't get discouraged though this takes time to know. Some females don't square out at all and still birth , others will square out for a week before birthing.

To me it looks like less than a week but more than 4 days.... I'd need another opinion though.

Back
Top Bottom