how to breed green swords

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tractorholic

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All;

Has anyone bred green swords? I've had a hard time finding any of these guys n gals, but finally found a lady who has a shop and she ordered some for me, got twenty, six males, but if someone has bred them and has some advice I would sure appreciate it.
I've always wanted to breed some, and have had a real problem finding some. These fish are young yet and may not be quite sexually mature yet. They're georgous fish.:fish1:

These fish are live beares just like mollies and guppies, the female carries them and give birth to live young, insted of eggs and you will want to watch for pregnant females the mother and other adults will eat the babies. If you want to save them you could put her in a breeder box or provide lots of hiding places for the fry, plants abd rocks work good

Ive kept fish for 30 plus years, but was aiming my question more at water settings. I've raised platys and guppies and mollies, but as yet never tried to raise swords. Lost all my reference books in a nasty divorce a while back so am just getting back to the fun stuff.

I have all these fish in the same tank with no others in that tank. Thanks for the advice all. I'm looking forward to raising some little ones. Some of these fish are for my son when he comes to visit, so I'll be having more room soon as that happens.

Green swords aren't seen often as they are rather plain compared to the many colors available. Still, they are a nice fish. they are typically kept in water that has some hardness and alkalinity. I have alays kept mine at cooler temps in unheated tanks, that range from 66F to 74F depending on time of year. They grow a little slower than at higher temps, but live longer and have fewer health problems.

I've been thinking of starting a club, but building a site is my problem, but I can find help on that one. Thanks for the tip on water quality. I need to remove my heater I guess. Before the heater it was running around 70 degrees. We keep the house at around 75 degrees here in Phoenix.
Thanks again for the help, it's just what I was looking for.

Good luck with the greens. Sounds like your room temps are more than adequate. With lower temps you get higher dissolved oxygen level and less bacterial growth. Both of those things are beneficial to the fish's health. In general I tend to keep fish at the low end of their comfort zone, and I never heat livebearer tanks.

That's sure interesting as I've always kept mine at what the books said to do, and it was in the higher end of the range. If they live longer and are more comfortable at that end, then that's where I'm headed. Have already un plugged the heater btw. Tell me this if you will, do the fry do as well at the lower temperatures also?

Back
Top Bottom