How to breed more male Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bijukuriakose

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416466281.308387.jpg
Hello will some one help me out how I can make more male guppies. Thanks and regards
Biju

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi,

Welcome to the community. I moved your question here to the breeding section.

What kind of tank do you have now?

How many gallons or Liters?

Guessing you have Guppies?

Well I have 8"/8" cement tanks 2 in number for growing guppies.

Well I have 8"/8" cement tanks 2 in number for growing guppies.

8 feet x 8 feet? Is this set up out in a yard or in a house or building?

Is there a vinyl pond liner, or will the water be in contact with the cement? Is it sealed or do you know?

Are you wanting to breed the guppies to sell as pets or feeders or for you to see in your ponds?

Do you have any previous experience with keeping fish?

If you have limited to no experience I would recommend reading the "Articles" section for some good information.

hmm good question ,I had a batch of 7 guppies and they were all females,had mine in a 10g tank temp 76-78,ive heard low temps may produce more males not sure thoe.

Personally, I am not aware of concrete scientific evidence for creating an environment for having more male Guppies born than females.

Maybe someone here has some personal experience.

Some theories are crowding, lowering temperature, ph, and any other type water issues.

Generally I have heard the common ratio is approximately 2 or 3 males to 1 female.

Are you raising Guppies now, what kind?

I am raising half black guppies but every thing turns into females pls someone help me give a techinique to make them into males
Bye

So far as I know, temperature has little influence over the sex ratio in guppies. They naturally produce a higher number of females to males, because in nature, females are worth a lot more in terms of overall survival. One male can fertilize a number of females, who can have a number of fry.. so evolution has decreed that more females are more likely to keep the population going.

You're fighting an uphill battle. The only way I can think of to change the ratio much, would require a lot of observation. You would have to know what fish fathered what fry on what female first. Then you'd have to count the number of males/females in each batch of fry, which means waiting 'til they are old enough to sex, for starters. Then only breed the males who produce the greater number of male offspring.

It is males who govern what sex offspring will be, so you need to select your male stock for their ability to produce more males. I can't imagine that is even going to be possible breeding them in a big cement tank.

So far as I know, temperature has little influence over the sex ratio in guppies. They naturally produce a higher number of females to males, because in nature, females are worth a lot more in terms of overall survival. One male can fertilize a number of females, who can have a number of fry.. so evolution has decreed that more females are more likely to keep the population going.

You're fighting an uphill battle. The only way I can think of to change the ratio much, would require a lot of observation. You would have to know what fish fathered what fry on what female first. Then you'd have to count the number of males/females in each batch of fry, which means waiting 'til they are old enough to sex, for starters. Then only breed the males who produce the greater number of male offspring.

It is males who govern what sex offspring will be, so you need to select your male stock for their ability to produce more males. I can't imagine that is even going to be possible breeding them in a big cement tank.

I have the opposite. I get mostly males with a few females

Fishobsessed7

Maybe you two should switch guppies :). I haven't had them in decades, but I used to get more females than males.. and with my Endlers, who are similar, you get a lot more females than males. But it's certainly possible to have a strain where the opposite is true.

Back
Top Bottom