How to get angels to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I was wanting to know what I need to do to get my angelfish to breed? I breed guppies and various types of cichlids! But I have had these angelfish for a while and was wondering if they are male or female! I have heard it is kind of difficult to sex them but I have some pictures if anybody could give me some info that would be greatly appreciated! Also I have been feeding them brine shrimp and should i put a flower pot in with them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1428117725723.jpg
    1428117725723.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 1428117787600.jpg
    1428117787600.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 1428117864743.jpg
    1428117864743.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 68
Hi I was wanting to know what I need to do to get my angelfish to breed? I breed guppies and various types of cichlids! But I have had these angelfish for a while and was wondering if they are male or female! I have heard it is kind of difficult to sex them but I have some pictures if anybody could give me some info that would be greatly appreciated! Also I have been feeding them brine shrimp and should i put a flower pot in with them?

I'd talk to Andy he's the big angelfish guy, and he can definitely get you pointed in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No info to give other than those Angels are stunning! Very pretty!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

The good news/bad news is that there is no point of reference in your pics to know how large these fish are so it's hard to say. I will say this, they need to be between 6-8 months old before they become sexually mature so if you haven't had these fish more than about 4 months and they are not real large, don't expect much.
As for the flower pot, its never a bad idea to have something in the tank for them to use as a spawning site HOWEVER, if you want this to remain a community tank, I strongly suggest you not encourage the fish to breed. As a Cichlid, Angels can get very aggressive towards their tankmates when preparing to and after they have spawned. As a Cichlid breeder, you should be well aware of the behavior. ;) This is what you will be up against.
If you want to know the whole process, there is an older thread titled "Wigglers at last!!!" in the breeding forum which was an ongoing thread from both professional and hobbyist Angelfish breeders. Pretty much everything you need to know about breeding Angels was discussed on that thread. It's a long one, but well worth the read. (y)

Hope this helps. :)

The good news/bad news is that there is no point of reference in your pics to know how large these fish are so it's hard to say. I will say this, they need to be between 6-8 months old before they become sexually mature so if you haven't had these fish more than about 4 months and they are not real large, don't expect much.
As for the flower pot, its never a bad idea to have something in the tank for them to use as a spawning site HOWEVER, if you want this to remain a community tank, I strongly suggest you not encourage the fish to breed. As a Cichlid, Angels can get very aggressive towards their tankmates when preparing to and after they have spawned. As a Cichlid breeder, you should be well aware of the behavior. ;) This is what you will be up against.
If you want to know the whole process, there is an older thread titled "Wigglers at last!!!" in the breeding forum which was an ongoing thread from both professional and hobbyist Angelfish breeders. Pretty much everything you need to know about breeding Angels was discussed on that thread. It's a long one, but well worth the read. (y)

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you for such a quick reply! I went to memphis in October! So i have had them for about 7 months. The black one is the largest about 5 inches top to bottom! The platinum and koi Is 3 1/2 in and the only thing in the tank is a few catfishes! I only have 4 angels in this tank and 2 catfishes but I can remove them if I need to! I'm going to read that thread and add a flower pot!

Back
Top Bottom