How to get danios to spawn ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abbly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I'm looking for some advice on how to get my danios to spawn ?
I've set up a breeder tank 10g and them have been in there more than a week and won't spawn ?
I've placed a crotchet screen in there so that the eggs could fall below and they won't get to them but still nothing ? The tank has been cycled for quite some time and I've raised the temp to just below 80 as I've read some previous articles .
There are 6 danios some clearly visible fat with eggs . Any help would be appreciated

I would like to know the answer to this question as my dad just picked up a shoal of 35 of them for his 5ft tank, ill just tag along : )

I don't breed them personally since they are egg layers in my community tank, but temperature I believe is a big thing. I notice they decide to spawn right after I do large water changes. I believe the fresh water makes them want to spawn. Just my piece of advice. :)

Someone feel free to correct me or add on!

Goodluck!

Just my opinion but danios like to swim and need a spacious tank for that otherwise the may be stressed a little. I would use a minimum of 20g for the regular danios and a 55for the giants. moderately hard water(25dh) and normal ph of 7-7.5 with the temp around 75, 76. Remember that they are not very dimorphic so sexing make from female will be hard. The only difference is the females are more full-bodied. I do not believe they need to be triggered into spawning but I may be wrong. I was always told to take a 20g put marbles in the bottom 6 inches of water and you get babies. The screen is big enough to let the eggs sink past it right?

How many are in your ten gallon tank? Also how often do you do a water change on it?

Hobgob said:
Just my opinion but danios like to swim and need a spacious tank for that otherwise the may be stressed a little. I would use a minimum of 20g for the regular danios and a 55for the giants. moderately hard water(25dh) and normal ph of 7-7.5 with the temp around 75, 76. Remember that they are not very dimorphic so sexing make from female will be hard. The only difference is the females are more full-bodied. I do not believe they need to be triggered into spawning but I may be wrong. I was always told to take a 20g put marbles in the bottom 6 inches of water and you get babies. The screen is big enough to let the eggs sink past it right?

+1 to all the things up there. (Which is why I don't try to breed them. :-D)

I didn't think they needed to be triggered either. I've never read anywhere that they need to be, but all my fish seem to be little derps with random quirks, so I wouldn't be surprised if mine are weird like that.

Also I couldn't see someone being able to keep up with the fish farms as far as danios are concerned... That would need a lot of tanks although, around here long finned gold danios are hard to find and I'm trying to get my hands on a school for them to spawn...

The reason I set up the 10 g is because it was the only space tank I had . There are 6 in there . I would say at least 3 are female very fat with eggs the other 3 are noticeably streamlined and skinnier . The screen net is supposed to be ok and has worked for other people . Saw on YouTube. I've heard of the marbles also ...
I've done 2 water changes within a week and a half. Even when adding fresh water still nothing .
these guys were in my 45g community tank before moving them to try and spawn them and I never saw any eggs there either :(
I do PWCS once a week on my other tanks
I've read a higher temp around 80 with lower ph around 6.6ph does anyone think this might help because they don't seen to respond to water changes and want to spawn naturally ?
This is the setup I mimicked on YouTube Check out this video on YouTube: h...?v=fwmiqkEftJQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The females might look full of eggs because of the body shape. They might not be spawning because the tank is to small so it could be stressing them out. IMF they had eggs in the other tank they would have ate thence and the majority of other fish would also. You can try the temp and ph. You need to experiment. What's their diet?

Hobgob said:
The females might look full of eggs because of the body shape. They might not be spawning because the tank is to small so it could be stressing them out. IMF they had eggs in the other tank they would have ate thence and the majority of other fish would also. You can try the temp and ph. You need to experiment. What's their diet?

They get flake food and sometimes some freeze dried shrimp. I've also heard that playing them in front of a window and having the natural sunlight help them spawn . I'm going to do another pwc today and see if it helps ...and move them
In front of the window tomorrow morning . A lot of trial and error - so frustrating .

I have bred danios in all sorts of tanks and have never had any issues getting them to spawn. They like a lot of fast flowing water and need to be conditioned before they will do it. I use blood worms to condition. They also breed very early in morning, as soon as the sun is up so make sure you lighting mimics this. Be sure to put an new unwashed nylon over your filter intake. Make sure your water is nice and low like in the picture or they will eat the eggs before they even get to the mesh. I use this same set up but I tie pieces of yarn in the center making a kind of artificial moss for them to swim through, another thing they like to do during spawning. If when you feed them they are more concerned about chasing each other they are ready. You can also try separating the males and females then adding them together early in the morning.

I'd feed them heavily with live or meaty food like thawed bloodworm. Danios do spawn regularly when well fed and happy.

The fish farm setups I've seen utilize large vats to spawn them in. They keep the breeders in a cage type setup so they can't get to the eggs after they are dropped. The process is actually quite simple.

This egg trap has by far been the best method I've employed. The nice thing is you don't have to put them in a special tank to breed. Sometimes the fish can get picky when you move them around, and it can take days for them to get adjusted to their new environment. Utilizing an egg trap means they can stay in their main tank, just pull the trap out every day and check for eggs. They are tiny, I have to stare in the trap for a while before I start seeing them.
http://danionins.com/articles/diyeggtrap.html

Dizzydea said:
I have bred danios in all sorts of tanks and have never had any issues getting them to spawn. They like a lot of fast flowing water and need to be conditioned before they will do it. I use blood worms to condition. They also breed very early in morning, as soon as the sun is up so make sure you lighting mimics this. Be sure to put an new unwashed nylon over your filter intake. Make sure your water is nice and low like in the picture or they will eat the eggs before they even get to the mesh. I use this same set up but I tie pieces of yarn in the center making a kind of artificial moss for them to swim through, another thing they like to do during spawning. If when you feed them they are more concerned about chasing each other they are ready. You can also try separating the males and females then adding them together early in the morning.

Thanks so much for the info . I was reading about separating them (they have always been together ) so I think I will do a water change separate the males and females for a few days , move the tank in front of the window . Give them a little clump of java moss an maybe get some marbles while im waiting to put them back together . Then reads the males the night before and hopefully when dawn hits ...
How do you condition them ... By feeding them bloodworms (strictly feeding them a diet of that for how long ? )
I do have some filter floss wrapped around the intake ... But the problem with my filter is that it won't run unless its at a certain water level so the 10 g is half full . Is there too much water ? It's still getting a lot of aeration from the water

jetajockey said:
I'd feed them heavily with live or meaty food like thawed bloodworm. Danios do spawn regularly when well fed and happy.

The fish farm setups I've seen utilize large vats to spawn them in. They keep the breeders in a cage type setup so they can't get to the eggs after they are dropped. The process is actually quite simple.

This egg trap has by far been the best method I've employed. The nice thing is you don't have to put them in a special tank to breed. Sometimes the fish can get picky when you move them around, and it can take days for them to get adjusted to their new environment. Utilizing an egg trap means they can stay in their main tank, just pull the trap out every day and check for eggs. They are tiny, I have to stare in the trap for a while before I start seeing them.
http://danionins.com/articles/diyeggtrap.html

Thanks jeta
I will definitely build one if I can't get them to spawn . Thanks for all the great tips

I would try using different foods. In the mornings do flake and at night do frozen. Every other day. Frozen food is a lot better for nutrition then freeze dried but I'd you frozen food dethaws it could loose some nutrients as well. Conditioning is the most important thing when breeding any fish

I feed them for about 2 weeks a solid diet of blood worm. If you have set up you tank like the you tube vid then just put a couple glasses underneath your mesh to raise the mesh up so the eggs have less distance to fall.

Ok great yea that's what I have set up . Before I put them back together I'm going to take the water level down as low as it can and still run the filter and put them back together in the evening after a big water change .

image-2684819885.jpg

Back
Top Bottom