How to keep platy fry alive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had a batch of platy fry a week ago and I took them out of my main tank and put them in a breeding box in my 10g fry tank. They started to die so I let them out of the breeder box I had a few live but they just ended up dying! I have a sponge filter and a 10g tetra hob filter with mesh over the intake! I did weekly wc and my readings were all good! They ate good but they mostly stayed in the corner at the very top of the tank and would not go anywhere else! They are all gone now but I was wondering what I could do for the future! Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What were you feeding them?? When I had play fry in my 10g, I put in some fake decorations and plants, and fed them crushed flake. Most of them die anyways, that's just how it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

T times I have Platy fry coming out my ears....lol I usually don't even see them till they are an eight inch or so in size . I sometimes take them and put in another tank and feed finely ground flakes and sometimes I just leave them where they are . I have noticed the ones I leave alone grow faster than the ones I move . I probably have an 80% survival rate .

Move them into a separate tank. Feed them powdered pellets or crushed flakes etc. Use aerator, no filter yet to avoid unnecessary death (since it seems you're new to these kinds of things). Change the water at least once a week or twice. Frys can adjust themselves pretty well even if the water parameters are bad (this is why my danio frys can survive inside the filtration system for who knows how long :p), but this will slow down their growth rate. They should be quite big in the next 2 months and ready to enter community tank tho I recommend 3 months later since not all frys have the same growth rate you know.

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If they die even after giving them intensive care, that just means they're the "fail fry" who has organ failures etc. Its like this, 30 frys were born, some might be the fail frys so maybe 15 of them survives until they get big. I found 15 danios in my filtration system, I took care of them from when their average size is just around 1cm until now their average size is about 5 or more cm (never really count their size now :p since all I know is that they're now the same size as their parents when I bought their parents from the lfs xD ).

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom