how to raise babie crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livefishguy124

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so how can i build a place for my crayfish to live for not a lot of money, i can build it out doors, i have a small heater and a filter that i can use, any help is widely appreciated.

Well since you don't want to spend a lot I'm assuming you only want one tank. Crayfish can be territorial but you can solve this easily. Buy a pvc pipe (only a couple of bucks) and cut it into 3 or 4inch sections. The sections of pvc will serve as a cave and designated "territory" for each crayfish. So you would need as many pvc caves as crayfish. Other than that (assuming you're talking about the common red crayfish) there's not a whole lot of special care. If you were talking about a more exotic species like the Mexican dwarf crayfish an outside tank wouldn't work. Luckily the common red crayfish have a pretty large temperature range.

Marbles are also pretty hardy. Though I would be hesitant to put that species outside seeing as its self cloning. It could easily become an invasive species which is why several states have banned the import and sale of that species.

well i would put it in a small kiddie pool so i could take them out and sell them, which i plan to do, and i would cover it so they could not get out of the pond.

In the end, it's up to you to exercise your best judgment. If covered securely I'm sure you won't have a problem.

oh yea ill cover it well, i don't want to lose them, i called my lfs today and they said that they would take them in about a month

Back
Top Bottom