Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How would you approach this??

I want to start a guppy and endler breeding project. This is my tank rack set up. Most of the tanks are planted or will be planted soon. All tanks are in the mid 70's and have been seeded with existing media. How would you go about this? Which fish would you put in which tank and how do you think I can make this the most efficient? Id like to have as many high quality fish as I can out of this. Let here it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	213189  

Old 12-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's a pic of the real thing Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387847286.328760.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	213287

Old 12-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How many lines are you breeding?
Old 12-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

None yet! I've been wondering if I should do both endlers and guppies or just one. If I did both it would probably just be a single strain of each, maybe two strains of guppies. If I did just guppies, it would probably be 2 or 3. If I do go with endlers, I'm looking to get tigers.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Google line breeding, I've found some very good articles on how to split them among tanks depending on what you're goals are breeding wise. I know line breeding can take up a few tanks just for one line, I'm guessing at least four per line (one for the starting set, fry tank, tank for males and tank for females).

I personally colony breed mine so I'm not an expert on this way of breeding.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Line breeding merely refers to 'same blood line' which is another word for inbreeding. Its used to create certain traits in fish that you want: Size, colour ect. Otherwise why line breed, you may aswell buy 2 different batches from different places and breed these.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's usually what people are breeding guppies for, unless its as feeders or if they don't really have an exact 'look/breed' they are going for. I'm figuring with this kind of set up and looking at different strains they would want to keep careful track of their breeding stock. Otherwise I'd have just suggested getting a 40 gallon and throwing ten of whatever strain in and letting them go at their business. It's what I do with mine.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been thinking about colony breeding. Atleast for one strain.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess it really comes done to WHY you are breeding that would really decide how many strains and how you'd want to space them.

If your are trying to breed for competition and the like you'd want to probably concentrate on one strain and use line breeding and whatnot.

If your not really caring about that but want to kept a certain strain 'pure' then I'd say keep colony tanks for each strain, with perhaps a few grow out tanks for whatever.

If you just want lots of guppies then just throw together want you want lol. Do you have a plan for the culls? Pet shop or large fish?
Old 12-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've got a club I'm apart of. I'm sure there will be takers. Lots of large fish keepers. I don't really want to get to far into a specific line. I won't have the years I need to perfect it. I've only got about 8 months to work with it. If like go make a buck or two if I can. What tanks should be the grow out(s).
Old 12-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The big ones. Gives them plenty of space and cleaner conditions. If you want to keep some virgin females, separate them ASAP into one of the smaller tanks and then throw whatever male(s) you like.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I will keep the top right for super young fry, just because it's got those small filters, make the 30 a colony grow out, the 20 long a female nursery, the middle 10 I will use for virgin females when I get them, the last 10 may become an experimenting tank, and I don't know what I'll do with the 20 high. Can I trust fry with my BN plecos and assassins in their?
Old 12-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never had assassins but I imagine not. My BN never did anything with my fry, the other guppies were the only things that went after them.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your fry will be completely safe with BN and assassins. I have them in all my tanks I have endlers in and they don't bother each other.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:53 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

30 gallon sprung a leak. It's up for sale now either to be resealed or used for reptiles. I think I'll replace it with a 40 breeder if I can find a deal on one.

Tags
app

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com