hybrid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The mother was raised from fry as I said, unless it was fertilised at a ridiculously young age, less than 6 or 7 week, then stored the sperm for 3 or so month!?

Aron said:
The mother was raised from fry as I said, unless it was fertilised at a ridiculously young age, less than 6 or 7 week, then stored the sperm for 3 or so month!?

Ah sorry missed that part....

I have three 'mollies' like that and seven guppies from the same batch of fry with exact coloration... In fact in background of that pic u can see one of the guppies born around the same time. Unfortunately I didn't keep tabs on the parent fish as I don't trap them anymore so I can't say they came from same brood.

Same genus gives a good general idea of how readily fish species will interbreed. There are lots of exceptions though, some fish are closely related enough to make hybrids and not in the same genus, it happens.

I recall reading a thread on this subject a while back and they said that the genitalia of Poecilia vs Xiph is pretty different, likened to square peg/round hole.

I dunno, looks like a chunky guppy to me. I haven't seen a guppy with horizontal stripes like that, but that definitely looks like a guppy dorsal. If they could be crossbred we would prolly have giant guppies by now, as there are mollies that can get to 4-5 inches. I am still dubious to say the least. With platy/sword crosses, it is really not difficult, in fact any 'fancy swordtail' that you see is a platy/sword cross.

All i really wanted to know was if i can cross breed mollies and platies ?

jonesy99 said:
All i really wanted to know was if i can cross breed mollies and platies ?

After more research i found that you can, however it may prove difficult. I myself do not support intentional hybrids.

Out of curiosity why do you want to cross them?

Well in that case having all one sex mollies and all one sex platys is a start. Good luck from there. Word of warning though your fry may be infertile!

If you really want to breed fish I would just go get more of one or the other and give away the ones you didn't get more of and poof instant fry.

Do you have m/f of both? If so, give it time, and you will be posting 'who wants free platys and mollies?'

Just incase anyone is interested here are a few more pictures of the 'mollies' that i posted about earlier. These came from my all female group of mollies, so I'm presuming they are hybrid?

image-3073450309.jpg

image-643475107.jpg

image-879067531.jpg

image-102974539.jpg

They look like wild type mollies. Not the true SA black mollies but the NA sailfin bronze type. Not a guppy Molly hybrid.

Yeah, as I said I'm not sure. But I had only silver, black and marble mollies at the time. I know the coloration could have came from a recessive gene in the parents but seemed coincidence that my guppys had exact coloration. They also swim and play breed with my male lyretail guppies, though I dont know if he impregnated any yet!

Back
Top Bottom