Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hybrid mollie

I have been working on Trying to breed a new strain of mollies for two years now. My goal is emerald green chocolate chip, with slightly longer tail and dorsal fin with red rim tail. Females do not get the red rim only males. I have male and females with these traits ready to breed. I also have one very special male. This mollie can look at you straight forward with out turning its head. Its a blk. mollie with emerald green sheen and redtail border extended wavy tail and dorsal. The eyes set it a part. The closest comparison would be a blk. moors eyes but slightly less protruding. Far enough out where he can face you and look at you strait on. This fish also is a ham. Very friendly. He loves looking at people. I'm going to see if I can get this trait out of any off spring. The thing is it may take a few generations before this shows up again. he has to be isolated and be put with sterile females. That way I know those off spring are the only ones carrying that trait. It also means a lot more tanks. Have to rearrange my whole fish room. Breeding fish isn't just putting males and females together to get fry. You need fry tanks and rearing tanks. and a lot more. You have to do it right or your fry mortality rate will be high. There I got my breeding thread in. There is still a lot more you have to do than just this. Rearing is the hard part!

Old 07-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good luck

BettaPonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good luck! They sound adorable.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Best of luck!
Old 07-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

😍 sounds gorgeous. Post pics when you achieve you final goal please.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just pour a 5 hour energy and some pop rocks in the tank.. instant mutant!! Ermmm I mean. Hybrid!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wish it was instant and easy. I have been working on this strain for over 2 years.

Still have a long ways to go. A few fish with the exact traits that I want doesn't mean success. It just means I'm a little closer.

It could mean a few more years or it could mean never. But I'm trying!

Tags
mollie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com