Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unhappy I am pretty sure my Platy is Pregnant

My female platy has gotten very "plump" over the past week or so that I had noticed. I spoke to people at the LFS and they suggested I put her in a breeder/birthing net util she delivers. I have had her in there since las night and she doesn't want to eat, she is looking for ways out, and the other fish are hanging around the net and the poor thing looks just MISERABLE and I don't know what to do. Should I put her back in the community tank or should I move her to the nursery tank where she will be all alone and I don't have any plants or cover in there where the babies could hide if she delivers. My community tank is nicely arranged with plenty of plants both real and fake and plenty of hiding places. Please tell me what to do I am so afraid I am going to lose her and the babies.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

If the fish is under stress. You could lose her. I just let my fish have there little ones in the aquarium with the other fish. Most of them live. Sounds like you have lots of good hiding places for the babies to hid. Let mother nature do all the work.

Logistical Aquatic Engineer
Big Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So do the babies know enough to swim and hide to prevent from being another fishes or Mom's next snack? I just want her to be as comfortable as possiable and I have 2 other red platy's and 3 mickey mouse platy's and the males still chase her even though 1 of the red ones and 2 of the mickey mouse ones are females. My other red platy aborted her pregnancy and the people at the LFS said it was because of stress so I am really confused. Thank you for all you help. I somely believe that the people on this site are much more knowledgeable than the people at the store. I don't mean any harm by that comment just that I have gotten much more reliable help here. Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So do the babies know enough to swim away and hide to prevent from being the other fishes or even Mom's next snack? I had another platy who was pregnant and the people at the LFS said she aborted her pregnancy because of stress. I don't want this one to lose her's. I have 2 other red platy's and 3 mickey mouse platies f which 3 of them are females and 1 of the mickey mouse one's is male and he keeps chasing the pregnant one all over. Thanks for all your help. I have tried several times to get the right answers from the LFS but it seems no one there can agree on a good answer. No disrespect intended its just that I have gotten much better advise from here than anywhere and I am thankful.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I was trying to delete one. The post didn't show up and I rewrote it because I messed up and now it is there twice sorry.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah the Mom will eat the Fry get rid of the Mum and let them grow! Have fun

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

floating plants, no breeder net for parents, let it be she may have already aborted them you may need to wait another month or so. read what i wrote under Mollie.

Tags
platy, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com