I am pretty sure my Platy is Pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sphinx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My female platy has gotten very "plump" over the past week or so that I had noticed. I spoke to people at the LFS and they suggested I put her in a breeder/birthing net util she delivers. I have had her in there since las night and she doesn't want to eat, she is looking for ways out, and the other fish are hanging around the net and the poor thing looks just MISERABLE:( and I don't know what to do. Should I put her back in the community tank or should I move her to the nursery tank where she will be all alone and I don't have any plants or cover in there where the babies could hide if she delivers. My community tank is nicely arranged with plenty of plants both real and fake and plenty of hiding places. Please tell me what to do I am so afraid I am going to lose her and the babies.

If the fish is under stress. You could lose her. I just let my fish have there little ones in the aquarium with the other fish. Most of them live. Sounds like you have lots of good hiding places for the babies to hid. Let mother nature do all the work.

So do the babies know enough to swim and hide to prevent from being another fishes or Mom's next snack? I just want her to be as comfortable as possiable and I have 2 other red platy's and 3 mickey mouse platy's and the males still chase her even though 1 of the red ones and 2 of the mickey mouse ones are females. My other red platy aborted her pregnancy and the people at the LFS said it was because of stress so I am really confused. Thank you for all you help. I somely believe that the people on this site are much more knowledgeable than the people at the store. I don't mean any harm by that comment just that I have gotten much more reliable help here. Thanks again.

So do the babies know enough to swim away and hide to prevent from being the other fishes or even Mom's next snack? I had another platy who was pregnant and the people at the LFS said she aborted her pregnancy because of stress. I don't want this one to lose her's. I have 2 other red platy's and 3 mickey mouse platies f which 3 of them are females and 1 of the mickey mouse one's is male and he keeps chasing the pregnant one all over. Thanks for all your help. I have tried several times to get the right answers from the LFS but it seems no one there can agree on a good answer. No disrespect intended its just that I have gotten much better advise from here than anywhere and I am thankful.

I was trying to delete one. The post didn't show up and I rewrote it because I messed up and now it is there twice sorry.

floating plants, no breeder net for parents, let it be she may have already aborted them you may need to wait another month or so. read what i wrote under Mollie.

Back
Top Bottom