Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

I FINALLY Got Some Guppy Babies!

I had 2 male Guppies which I hated, they were scrawny skanky looking things, really colourful but I thought they were horrible. They were attacking the other fish so I went and got 4 females which in my opinion are much nicer fish than the males.

All 4 of the females were heavily pregnant, the males completely ate one of the females, like they were trying to eat the babies before they even came out.

The 2 males then died (serves them right) then 2 other females died before giving birth, I think while giving birth.

I was left with one female Guppy and I read that people don't recommend putting them in a breeding box but I decided to try it, I bought a Betta one, it was bigger and has net round it, I put it in there, and tonight it FINALLY gave birth so yay for me lol.

The female hasn't finished yet but when she has I'll leave her to calm down a bit then put her back in the tank. The babies are great, they can get out of the net lol, but they swim out and hide in the floating plants then if anything comes near them they shoot back inside the net.

Looking at the female so far she seems pretty relaxed so I'm hoping she'll be alright.

Oh and I read somewhere about Apple Snails giving something off for fry or something, well the babies are hanging around the snail so whatever it's got they want it lol.

The Threadfin Rainbows are going crazy, they're spraying eggs everywhere, the male is amazing, I know they say they're great when they're spawning (if that's what it is) but I didn't realise how great.

The whole tank has gone crazy tonight lol.

Sorry for the long post, I was just quite excited, I haven't had the tank for long and it's the first lot of babies

Tags
babies, guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com